General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:58 pm

Asking for some advice on AD helmets.

I'm just a weekend welder - mostly do mig in my home shop, and mostly light fabrication work. I've been using a $50 Antra hood I got several years ago off Amazon, and it has served me OK for what I gave for it. Problem is, I just don't see as well as I used to, and the last year or so I've really begun to struggle seeing what and where I'm welding. I bought a cheater lens that helps some, but it mostly just makes the image I'm seeing bigger - not clearer. I feel certain a helmet with better optics would help...so I'm in the market for the best helmet I can buy for about $200 or less. As you might guess, my main objective is improved optics/clarity. Other features - durability, head gear quality and comfort, modes, battery life, etc - are important also, but take a back seat to optics.

I've been comparison shopping, and here is a list of a few that fit my budget, but I don't know if any are better than the rest. Do any of these stand out as better than (or worse than) others in this price range? Does anyone have another helmet that they think is better than what I'm already looking at? My budget is pretty firm at around $200 - I just can't justify spending much more. If I spent 8-10 hours a day under the helmet, it'd be different...but I spend more like 8-10 hours a week.

Jackson Insight 46131
Lincoln Viking 1840
Miller Digital Performance 282000
Esab Savage A40
Hobart Inventor 770890
Speedglass 9002NC (at $236, this one is a bit more than I really want to spend, but I won't rule it out if it's clearly better than anything else I'm looking at)

I'd really appreciate the thoughts of anyone knowledgeable about any helmets in my price range.

Thanks!
Red
God Bless Our Troops and Their Families! To all Veterans and Active Duty Military Men and Women...Thank You For Your Service!

Hobart Handler 210 MVP
DavidR8
    Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:50 am

I like my Esab A40 a lot!
David
Millermatic 130
Primeweld 225
Spartan
    Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:59 pm

Love my Viking 3350. Actually have two of them. Those also seem to go on sale several times a year and Lincoln also offers rebates on them occasionally. I got my first one for around $180, and probably similar for the second one but I don't recall. May be worth waiting a bit if you are not in urgent need and want to keep the price under $200. I imagine that some Memorial Day and general summer sales will be kicking off here real soon.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I have 4 or 5 of the Lincoln helmets and they seem to be good for the money. Miller is good as well. I would honestly see if your local welding supply has any in stock and look through them or see if anyone local to you will let you run a bead through one they own. Beyond that these days pick one and go with it. Any helmet you listed there has better optics than the "cheap" helmets.
-Jonathan Lewis
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Once you commit to buying a hood above $150 US then your probably going to get a good lid. Especially if your buying from a local established business/supplier. Look for at least 4 sensors. That also seems to be a good dividing point.
I have more questions than answers

Josh