General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
historyofwarfare
    Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:19 am

Why have stick and MIG/Flux in the same welder? Just pick one process because stick and flux do not require a gas. It seems to me stick and TIG are the most important processes to have.

Jeff
historyofwarfare

I am new here. I am trying to pick an engine welder. Having stick and MIG/flux in the same welder doesn't seem practical because stick and flux do not require a shielding gas. I hope one day soon to start a business so I will have more questions.

Jeff
brian
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:11 pm

It all depends on what you plan on doing with the machine. My Trailblazer 302 will do all of the welding processes I need, with one machine. SMAW, GMAW, FCAW, GTAW, CAC-A, PAC.
historyofwarfare

So there are things to do with stick that can't be done with flux?
brian
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:11 pm

I wouldn't say can't be done, but there are times when one process would be more preferred than another. And more practical.
historyofwarfare

What is a common problem when flux is more suitable than stick? I believe yall, it's just that I want an image. I can see one problem already. In close areas, the electrode of stick welding might be in the way?
rickbreezy
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:08 pm

Look at it this way:

Lets pretend you own a small constuction bussiness, and a little fab shop/garage too. You go to that constuction site, and you have to climb 4 stories to beams/bracing/pipe or whatever. You need to use stick, I mean, are you really going to run a wire box up 4 flights of stairs? I hope not. Also you might want to throw a 6010 root down on pipe, and switch to 7018, or you might have to use different size electrodes for different size metals. stick is very convinient.

But then you get the contract to fab up some handrails for the same job, and you return back to your shop and use stick? hell no! a mig gun would be 4 times faster, and time is money. Then you take all that stuff back to the job, and realize you forgot to put the ornamental heads on the tops of the handrails. well you cant use mig cuz its a windy day, so you use fluxcore. Then you take all those handrails upstairs and use stick for and finishing up type work.

So its not that one is better then the other, just better for a particuler purpose, and remember, you are always welding with a purpose. And ussually that purpose is the bottom line(money).

-Rick
travlinbumm
    Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:49 pm

historyofwarfare wrote:I am new here. I am trying to pick an engine welder. Having stick and MIG/flux in the same welder doesn't seem practical because stick and flux do not require a shielding gas. I hope one day soon to start a business so I will have more questions.

Jeff
Why are you shopping for an engine driven welder?
Do you already have an "in shop welder" or are you thinking that the engine drive will compensate for not having 220/480 in your shop/garage? Do you plan on being a mobile only welder? Do you have your sights set on pipeline work?
Almost any CC CC/CV stick welder can be used for FCAW(Flux Core) or GMAW(Mig) with the addition of a VS wire feeder. If the welder has a high enough capacity.

Having Flux/Mig capabilities means you can be profitable on a job that requires a lot of welding..... lets say a production run of small parts for a local manufacturing company.

Having SMAW(stick) means you could get four stories up without having to carry the suitcase feeder... mentioned above. It also means that when someone brings you a small repair that requires a special filler metal, you can just by four rods instead of a whole roll of wire. It also gives you the ability to do Carbon Arc gouging.

If you are going to buy an engine drive welder, get the newest/biggest/best one you can afford. Don't mess around with a twenty something year old welder you find on Craigslist for $500. You get what you pay for.

Do your research. Find out what motor it has and read up on them.. how long do they last on average? how much does it cost to rebuild them? what are the typical problems that other people have encountered with them?

As far as the welder part of it, make sure there is a qualified service center you can take it to if/when something goes wrong.
Will
historyofwarfare

Rick and Will, now it all makes sense! After reading both of your explanations, I did not scratch my head.

Will - to answer your first question, I won't have to worry about finding an outlet. Answer to second - I have a 135 Handler. It was a used gift that I never complained about being used. Answer to third - my idea was to be mobile only, however, I would also have a small shop. Answer to fourth - no pipeline work until I have practiced enough because I don't want to see spills or worse.