General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
loudandgreen
    Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:28 pm

I'm back! It's been a couple years and I'm still twiddling thumbs trying to do the thing. Now I'm in a way better situation than I was 2 years ago I'm looking at buying a MP machine in a few months, something I can teach myself and a one and done unit for stick and mig. It would be great if it was a DC unit 160a or under (I have a pacemaker) I'm interested in mostly automotive metal work meaning sheetmetal and frame and possibly dabble in a little aluminum as time and experience allows. I want a machine that will hold up for a long time and from a company that has a great reputation for backing their product even 10 years from now.

Now I've explained what I'm looking, where would I find a deal and when (holidays maybe?)? I've thought about ESAB because if I remember right they're made in SC but I know nothing of their customer service or warranty, then there's Miller and Lincoln, once again I know nothing of customer service and warranty BUT I've heard of horror stories of certain models being made overseas and warranty for such is worthless. I'm fiddling with my budget and I'm trying HARD to keep under $1500.

I'm also in a situation where I rent and that's the way it will always be till hopefully one day I learn a new trade and can fix that issue. For now I have to think of a way to set up a temp booth or something for welding... including flooring due to I'm not sure what property owners will let me get away with and I want to make sure it's nothing permanent and doesn't leave "marks" from my welding.... any advice is welcome.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Close to your budget, and even though it is out of stock at the moment, but this is a quality machine that I would recommend: HTP 210 MTS. I have the pulse-capable version of that one and unless you are doing more than medium-level fabrication type work or need to constantly weld 3/8"+ steel/aluminum, you likely won't outgrow it. You can weld aluminum with it by purchasing an extra MIG gun dedicated to aluminum, no spool gun needed. As for customer service, most of the time the owner Jeff answers the phone when you call in. Customer service at it's finest.