General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Fluxedup
    Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:06 am

In the instructional videos I see on here they always run their root then they run a weave. They don't use run off tabs either. In my line of work we weld anything from 1/16 to 10 inch thick metal in all positions overhead, vertical, horizontal with all types of wire .035, .045, .052, 1/16. Flux core. .035 inner shield ..7018, 6011, stick..even our boom welders run stringers. When we test new hires..no weaves..stringers..tied in and no undercut On their coupons and the run off tabs better be full. They only time we use a weave is when we use ceramic backing and that's only for the root.
Do most places allow weave? Isn't there more room for error in a weave?
Fluxedup
mtm1971
    Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:28 pm

if asking if stringers or weaving is better.can be two different things a stringer usually consist of three or more passes hince(stringer) where most weaves are done on one horizontal pass.or second pass through 50 in vert up,I am a weaving welder not to be confused whith a back and forth whiping motion I build cranes for shipyards amongest other places 75% of are welds are x rayed and stress relieved undercut is caused by taking metal out without refill,weaving (in a circular motion) takes most possible metal out and refills with 750,000 tencil strnngth of weld. Is weaving more prone improper welding, YES most instructers do not teach because is harder style to master.But is a better more penatrtating quality weld(done right). And usually the only companies that do not allow weaving is comp. that do conveyors,talbles,counters.etc. for food companies or tobacco because of poss build up of product between the weave making harder for sanitation.I