General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Timber Wolf
    Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:31 pm

I guess this is as good as a place as any share this. I recently started a Youtube channel where i do overviews on welding rods and stuff. The camera work could be better and I'm a rookie, but it's a start.

https://youtube.com/channel/UCmx1HqQC1P4vVJdxRqohZdA
sbaker56
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

The more the merrier I say, especially since you've gotten your hands on some oddball rods I'm quite curious about myself. My photographer/videographer friend has been pushing me to start a welding channel for a while, but I didn't feel like I had anything of value to add over all the information Jody has already given. Still, I feel like we lost something when ChuckE2009 went full blown neo nazi and deleted his channel. Jody is an excellent instructor, the best on youtube I would say for sure, but I doubt I was the only one who glossed over him finding his videos too intimidating when I was just a pure amateur trying to learn how to even poorly stick to pieces of metal together.

Those of us who went to school and or worked in the trade can tend to default way too easily to solutions that are worlds away from what an amateur has access to. I got to learn how to tig on a 5k Sycrowave 250 DX, before getting special permission to graduate onto the pristine Dynasty 280DX which would've ran about 10k all together, My job at the jet boat shop, I again used a Dynasty 280 DX and alumapower 350s with feeders and push pullguns.

In other words what I'm saying is it's very easy for welders to lose touch with hobbyists, so I'm all for more welding based channels springing up.

If you're taking requests, Id like to see you get ahold of as many "cutting, gouging or chamfering rods" from different brands as possible, the ones that claim no Arc air setup is needed and review them side by side to see if any stand out among the others. Everyone knows you can "cut" with a 6010 cranked up to about 225, amps and although it'll be a ragged mess, I've actually found a few occasions where it was legitimately useful for demo work.