General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Wparker7
    Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:21 am

Hello, im a newer welder, ive been arc welding for awhile and recently learned to MIG. My welder got stolen so looking to replace. Id like to learn to TIG but have projects that require MIG and ARC around the farm. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good multi process welder? Again, this is for use around my private shop, im not going to be doing any professional work with it. The maximum thickness ill be welding is around approximately half inch i believe. I have a budget af around $3,500. Thanks
Last edited by Wparker7 on Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Is your budget $120 or $5,000? :)

Also, what is the thickest metal you plan on welding? The duration or how often does not matter IMO, only the maximum thickness since that determines how much amperage you need.
Wparker7

Good points, I updated my post. To answer you directly I predict the maximum thickness would be around half inch. I have a budget of about $3,500.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

for single-pass, no beveling, IMO,
½" with MIG and you need about 350-400A.
½" with stick you need around 250A
½" with TIG you need about 325-350A.

So I'd say be prepared to use most if not all of that budget, for a multi-process machine. What's your brand preference?
Wparker7

I can go up to 5k but really would like to stay around 3.5k if possible to save a little for some other projects. I dont really have a brand preference. Growing up my grandad always had miller and thats what my arc welder was too.
M_P4
    Sun May 23, 2021 9:11 am

Take a look at the Rebel line from Esab. I recently bought the 205 and am pleased with it so far. It does Mig, Tig & Stick, come with a foot pedal and can also do AC tig if you want to weld aluminum. This one isn't big enough for 1/2" but I'm sure as you progress up the line you'll find one that will.
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

These questions are always tough. It's hard to recommend anything but a multi-process machine when thinking about use on a farm. I would probably lean toward more features but slightly less amps, mostly because all the super-heavy welding you can do multiple passes and also some pre-heat if you need extra ummph.

For farm use, if you have a building in which you'll be doing the work, then all the processes are on the table. But for outdoor work, stick with flux-core mig and stick. Gas outdoors simply doesn't work, and given that the entire reason for the machine is repair work, you WILL be working outside at times.

As I'm not one of those guys who tries out a gazillion welders, I don't have a ton of first hand experience with the various machines. I'll let someone else recommend models and brands. But if it were me (and I have a farm, though I also have a machine shop in which I do my repair work), I'd be considering a multi-process machine set up initially for MIG FCAW. Within your budget, I'd try to also get something pulsed spray capable. Should be easy for <$3500. AC Tig capable is going to really jack up the price on a MP machine, but DC Tig is almost a free option if you don't consider all the stuff you have to add to actually do it. But, that's stuff you can add down the road when you decide you'd like to try that. That's an indoor only process. DC Tig = Stick also, so that would cover that with the possible exception of needing to add a $30 stinger to hold the rods.

Keep in mind, TIG and MIG will require two if not three different tanks to support all the processes because they use different gasses. The tanks can get pricey, and odds are you won't want to rent if it's not a business use machine.

Best of luck shopping.
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

The Miller Multimatic 255 is hard to beat for the requirements you laid out. Its a pulsed MIG/stick/DC TIG unit. Up to 350 amps max output means more than enough oomph to do pulse MIG and regular MIG up to 1/2 inch in thickness, and/or self shielded flux core, gas shield flux core (aka "dual shield"), metal core, etc. Plus it is a dandy stick welder, and a decent lift arc, pulsed DC TIG welder. I will admit that I am still trying to get the hand of pulse MIG but I love this machine. The base machine with no cart or TIG set up is $3900
Multimatic 255