General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Wed May 27, 2020 7:43 pm

I recently picked up a Klutch Welding Table as an upgrade from my original Harbor Freight folding table and have noticed that the top keeps wanting to rust. Now I know this isn't a fantastic table being a step up from a HF table, but is there a way to keep it from rusting?
dgapilot
    Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:00 pm

Wax it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
David

Everlast 210 EXT
Lincoln AC225
Lotos LTP5000D
Oxy-Acetylene
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

i would not wax it.
thats going to screw up your welding like crazy.
i see a lot of guys just give it a quick spray with wd40 etc. anything that won't screw up your welding.
tweak it until it breaks
dgapilot
    Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:00 pm

WD 40 is definitely not the answer. The WD stands for water dispersant, and initially it will be ok, but it quickly goes hydroscopic and attracts moisture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
David

Everlast 210 EXT
Lincoln AC225
Lotos LTP5000D
Oxy-Acetylene
Gdarc21
    Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:44 am

A lanolin based anti spatter does well.
I use it for nearly everything. Think the old guy in My Big Fat Greek Wedding with the windex. Thats me with lanolin :lol:
The fumes off your table wont be as bad. You will need something you can weld around. Whatever is on table is going to be in a weld joint eventually.
If you are using it all the time then it would be fine to wire wheel it gently before use. If you dont know already, use a face shield and long sleeves with a wire wheel, they throw wires. And it hurts :roll:
Gdarc21

Im pretty sure there is a similar thread still current in this welding discussion area too, would be worth a look mate.
    Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:00 am

I put Break Free CLP on mine. Works great and no issues with electrical conductivity.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Safariland-s ... n/19417553
Multimatic 255
Gdarc21

There is lots of choices for lubes and solvents in welding so do check if it is safe to weld around.
Anything with chlorine is out. Some cutting lubes used to have chlorine in them, only recently have they changed. Brake cleaner is a big no no.
They all perform well under heat, until they are exposed to welding temps and become toxic vapours.
Any lube with a cleaning action should be looked at. Most are ok but some use chlorine and other nasties, that work well at thier designed temp, but not at ours.
Wd40 and firearm lube is generally ok though. But if you use anything, know what it does when you weld it.
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

Where is the rust coming from and/or why is it getting wet?

I'm all for avoiding toxic vapors and such, but with wax, seriously, we're just talking about a microscopic layer of goo on the metal. It's immeasurably small. And, we don't weld the table, the parts sit on it. Well, we're not supposed to weld the table. :mrgreen:

I'm a fan of car wax, and it's never been an issue for me. Ymmv.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I’ve used furniture paste wax.
I have more questions than answers

Josh