General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
willcraigen
    Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:02 am

Hi,
I'd like to preface that I'm new to welding and know very little but couldn't find anything really in my searches that covered my idea.

For a project I was thinking of welding a support to the interior (17mm) of a covered bearing (40mm). The support would be perpendicular to the interior face of the bearing. I was thinking of using a U shape for the support with the bearing threaded at the base of the U. and the weld primarily between the interior face of the bearing and the interior of the U.

I mostly wanted to know if this would be possible to not only weld as i've heard the metal used in bearings is quite hard and can be brittle.
I would like the bearing to still work.
I would like the interior of the bearing to be hollow (appart from support weld), so filling the bearing is not an option here.

Thanks in advance
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

This one will require some pictures. Generally welding on a bearing housing will cause a failure. If it’s cast definitely no. If the bearing is in it, no. They do make bearing houses that are meant to be welded, however even if it’s designed to be welded it is possible to warp a housing by welding only in one area or in one line. I’m sure others will have some ideas and other exceptions. With pictures it might be simply a mater of ordering a different bearing configuration that will allow you to add the support without welding.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

i would not weld bearings unless its a don't care if it fails situation.

the welding will probably stuff up the bearing race, certainly cook the grease. the bearing will not last for very long under load.
you can weld in bearing housings, that pretty common in machines.
your better to use a bearing stud and capture the bearing with circlip/nut etc.
tweak it until it breaks
Gdarc21
    Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:44 am

U shaped support with bearing at the base sounds like a billy cart swingarm :lol: whatever is coming out of that bearing when project comes together will add leverage to breaking an already weak weld. There are other options, if you could make a housing for the bearing then you can install bearing and change them out as needed. Depending project it wouldnt need to be an awesome housing just a big washer either side of some flat bar or small round bar bent around it, as long as bearing couldnt move inside. Then weld housing to u bar. Tack top washer on in 4 spots so you can cut it off to change bearings if wanted otherwise glue it and send it.
Pics help :D