General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Enfield43
    Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:48 am

Hello, everyone

I am 17 years old, and am looking for any tips that would help me start up a welding business. any tips would be appreciated. and would like to know what every one thinks about the Miller Bobcat 250 and Bobcat 3-phase. i would like tips on helping me get started out.

Thanks for your help,

Steve
"Turn it up, burn it in good and deep"--Bobby Wilson
Remi
    Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:09 am

Hi Steve,

For the tips, having a look at Jody's website may be a good start.

Remi
Enfield43
    Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:48 am

Remi,
I have ready through Jody's site throughly.. and there are alot of info. i would just like if anyone out there had any more to go on.

-Steve
"Turn it up, burn it in good and deep"--Bobby Wilson
brian
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:11 pm

Some things that have helped me, Steve. Talk to everyone you possibly can. Try to get your name in everyones ear. Word of mouth goes a long way. If you have some down time, stop at random places and give them a business card. If you don't have any, you need some. Don't call people to tell them about your business, show up at their business. Let em know your serious. Be prepared to work when you stop at a business to tell them about yourself. I can't count how many times I have stopped at a business and told them about myself, and the owner say, I've got something I need welded now. And then tell me they will give me a call later in the week. Then I say, I can do it right now. It kinda puts them on the spot, but most people will give you a shot if you act like you know what your doin. If they like it, you've got all of their work from then on. As long as you don't rape em. Also, don't sell yourself short. Im from FL, and mobile I charge $50.00 an hour because everyone else is at least that. In my shop, I go as low as 35.00. Depending on what it is. One more, NO freebies. Not even friends. You have to charge something. You can't lose money when you go to work. Well, I have lost money on jobs, but not on purpose. Hope that helps you.
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

Hey Steve,
I started my welding business a little while ago and would be glad to help you in any way. Have you looked at the Trailblazer 302?? Excellent machine.
Jim
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
welder57
    Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:42 pm

i think you should look at the trailblazer 302 as jpennce38 said. i have one on my welding truck and its awesome. never a loss of generator power as i sometimes power a poly pipe electrofusion machine and its not affected by the welding process at all. also this might be your largest purchase so make it a good one. check around for the $$$, as the 302 isn't a hell of alot more for it as compared to the 250 when you figure you might get 20 years out of it. the new ones are more frugal on fuel according to millers website. excellent stick arc on 6010 and 7018. get the remote if you can swing it, very handy. they offer an extension for the remote. make yourself a tow behind trailer for your welder if youre not planning a full blown welding rig($$$) and it would be a good project for you. good luck on your career. i wish i started welding when i was your age