General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Iksaen
    Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:19 am

Hey everybody,

I'll be coming to the US soon, to pay a visit to my cousin who lives in Boulder. (From November 19 to 26)

I would like to take this opportunity to gather information about the possibilities of working in the US next year.

Does anyone know any welding related companies in the area? I looked on Gmaps but I know that sometimes there's more than what Google knows :D
I'm also interested in knowing names of temp-work agencies or anything related where I could go and ask questions about visa stuff and employment in the area.

I'll take any advice you'll be willing to give me on that matter :)

And if some of you are nearby, I'd be more than happy to share some talking around a beer or two ! I think I could go up until Denver if I borrow my cousin's car.

I'm looking forward to your answers :)
Cheers!
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I would search on a web site like
https://www.indeed.com/m/?gclid=EAIaIQo ... gJP8PD_BwE

They will list jobs actively searching and also you can add to have recruiters contact you through your profile.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Iksaen
    Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:19 am

Thanks for the reply!

I'm already using Indeed quite à lot to search for work here, it works pretty well.
I looked a bit for Colorado, saw some offers but mostly for jobs I don't qualify for yet, be it experience or lack of certificates.
It's still a good way to see some companies names I could try to contact to visit while I'm there.

I don't recall seeing job offers made by recruitment agency, is it not a thing in the US?
Here most of the offers (apart for permanent position) are made by those.

I see there is a difference between temporary and contract work. Am I right to assume that contract work implies that you have your own business and you'll be comissioned to do stuff, whereas temporary would be similar to what we call Interim work here, where you have a special type of working contract that is more flexible than more permanent hiring ?

I hope I'm making sense, still struggling a bit with English formulation sometimes :oops:
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Yes you will likely be looking for temp work. But don’t let the posted requirements keep you from letting an employer know you are interested and willing to learn. In this economy you might well land a job just because your interested. Lots of places that are posting jobs are posting for the top end of what they want. But often have other jobs or levels of jobs they just didn’t want to spend the effort to post.
I have more questions than answers

Josh