General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Gdarc21
    Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:44 am

This fits into shop talk im sure.
The Apprentice feels that Ariana Grande and cee lo and the like is appropriate shed music. While I wouldnt turn them off when driving I probably wouldnt play it after a 5min ian moss solo.
I feel as a democracy I should wiggle room on this but as a short list:
Black keys, Rival sons(cant wait to see those guys live) jack white, floyd, america, cold chisel hoodoo gurus, aus crawl, most of 90s seattle bands and Australias favorite sons- crowded house- hey tweake :o
Just not a crowd cee lo would fit in. I will definitley put macklemore and the weekend in....... but where do you draw the line.
Whats rocking your shed and whats not allowed in?
robtg
    Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:54 pm

To me music in the shop is like someone yaking away when I am trying to focus on what I am doing.
I like to listen to the machine, welder, mill, lathe, or whatever I am working with.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

if someone put Ariana Grande on they would not walking straight for a month.

for me its generally heavy metal. eg Metallica, black sabbath, guns n roses, def leppard, acdc, sound garden, ghost, even a bit of nightwish.
as long as its music you know, it just gets tuned out when working, so its not really a distraction.
tweak it until it breaks
Gdarc21
    Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:44 am

tweake wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:12 am if someone put Ariana Grande on they would not walking straight for a month
Yeah Im hearing ya, but it is a newer age mate. We had one guy plug his music into the sound system, after smoko I tapped him on the shoulder and told him that his mum called and wants her ipod back. :lol: must of made him all boo hoos cause he didnt talk to me for a week. No great loss ;)
Cant have it too quiet, grinders and earplugs it tends to just echo without tunes.
Not gonna bite on crowded house? We will trade Kylie, gladly. :D
tweake

Gdarc21 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:26 am
tweake wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:12 am if someone put Ariana Grande on they would not walking straight for a month
Yeah Im hearing ya, but it is a newer age mate. We had one guy plug his music into the sound system, after smoko I tapped him on the shoulder and told him that his mum called and wants her ipod back. :lol: must of made him all boo hoos cause he didnt talk to me for a week. No great loss ;)
Cant have it too quiet, grinders and earplugs it tends to just echo without tunes.
Not gonna bite on crowded house? We will trade Kylie, gladly. :D
you can keep kylie, we will keep crowded house thank you very much.
tweak it until it breaks
sbaker56
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

Give me some metal any day, late 90s-early 2000s on up if I had my pick, but anything from the 80s onward is good with me, Metallica didn't release ride the lightning in the 90s and neither was Guns N Roses putting out stuff like Welcome to the Jungle by then after all. Honestly I'm a weird dude and if someone wants to take me on a triple down memory lane with some screamo type bands or even play some of the few pop songs I like I'm not throwing fit, the moment WAP come on though I'm losing my shit and probably breaking something. I always weld with music unless it's a hazardous situation where constant communication is key.
tweake

sbaker56 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:14 am Give me some metal any day, late 90s-early 2000s on up if I had my pick, but anything from the 80s onward is good with me, Metallica didn't release ride the lightning in the 90s and neither was Guns N Roses putting out stuff like Welcome to the Jungle by then after all.......
i bought the gnr welcome to the jungle in late 80's when it came out here.
i don't recall ever hearing metallica back then, which is a shame.
NZ was very selective in the music then. we never had MTV untill late 90's and even then it was the lame UK version.
but things improved with student radio and they did a tv music channel as well, until that got bought out and shut down. thats where i discovered rollins band.
tweak it until it breaks
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

Durn kids ... Old time rock and roll or some light classical. I get enough "noise" from the grinder and the prez of the honey do list.
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

I have rock all the way from the 60s to today. I have a buddy who has a show on AlloyRadio and I listen to that at work every Saturday night (6:30-8:30). He's an ole retired military coot who loves metal and rock of all kinds. Vietnam vet, biker, you get the drill. His show is actually one of the lighter ones on Alloy, as there's some serious metal on there. Goes by the handle of DJHarley https://alloyradionow.com/

Other'n that, I've got MP3s of every piece of music I own dating back many decades. Those play on the shop PC through Altec lansing speakers and pretty well rock the joint. I won't listen to country, don't like any of the rap garbage no matter what name they stick on it. I can listen to Classical, even big bands, but keep that teenybobber stuff away from me.

A little while back I was listening to DJHarley's show and had mentioned to him I liked Uriah Heep. What'da'ya'know, on the show he played a NEW track from UH, from 2018! Who'da thunk'it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9S_s2NiEQo

In case you don't remember them, here's one of their tracks from 72'!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lumulauzCU0
sbaker56
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

tweake wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:33 am
sbaker56 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:14 am Give me some metal any day, late 90s-early 2000s on up if I had my pick, but anything from the 80s onward is good with me, Metallica didn't release ride the lightning in the 90s and neither was Guns N Roses putting out stuff like Welcome to the Jungle by then after all.......
i bought the gnr welcome to the jungle in late 80's when it came out here.
i don't recall ever hearing metallica back then, which is a shame.
NZ was very selective in the music then. we never had MTV untill late 90's and even then it was the lame UK version.
but things improved with student radio and they did a tv music channel as well, until that got bought out and shut down. thats where i discovered rollins band.
I have to thank my dad for introducing me to GNR particularly welcome to the jungle. Really as long as it's not modern rap/country it's a refreshing break from what most people seem to choose. My personal work playlist has a lot more variety and is generally less heavy than the playlists I have for the gym though. The mindset I want to be in to pull a max effort deadlift triple and tig weld isn't exactly the same.