General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
drizzit1aa
    Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:57 pm

I have a Miller 220 Multimatic and a 250 Syncrowave that needs to be liquid cooled. My extra cooler is a Coolmate 4 which will cool loads of up to 600 amps.

The question is, how can I connect both welders to it. Anyone know what size the pipe is coming from the pump so I can use a "Y"? Then I need to find the left handed threaded fittings, know where I can buy those? I haven't had much luck at my local welding supply, they just keep trying to sell me another cooler. Links would be awesome. :D
sbaker56
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

Are you actually overheating the torch on the Multimatic 220? I'd personally hook it up to the Syncrowave 250 and keep in mind the duty cycle of the Multimatic 220 and air cooled tig torch aren't too far apart.
drizzit1aa

sbaker56 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:52 am Are you actually overheating the torch on the Multimatic 220? I'd personally hook it up to the Syncrowave 250 and keep in mind the duty cycle of the Multimatic 220 and air cooled tig torch aren't too far apart.
I don't like holding onto a torch that reaches around 300 degrees when welding aluminum (I tend to cup the head with my hand for more control). I want to connect both machines to one cooler and even though the 250 is a larger machine (max 310 amps, where the 220 is 210 max = 520 amps maxed out ), since it's a transformer machine it takes almost twice the electricity as the 220, and the 250 doesn't have pulse which I need. Also I just plain need another functioning welder.
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

Instead of getting "fancy" with Y connections and other hoses, you can just use quick couplers on the coolmate from each of the torches. The more fittings, the more likely you may have a leak somewhere you aren't watching/using. Either way It is up to YOU to make certain that the cooler is running.
sbaker56
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

BillE.Dee wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:27 pm Instead of getting "fancy" with Y connections and other hoses, you can just use quick couplers on the coolmate from each of the torches. The more fittings, the more likely you may have a leak somewhere you aren't watching/using. Either way It is up to YOU to make certain that the cooler is running.
That was kind of my thought, a Y connection could might cause some weird flow issues and such, or at least it's not a thing I've ever heard done with a watercooler.
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

Using an 'Y' can work, but it would rely on the pump having significant over-capacity flow wise to feed both torches simultaneously.

If it doesn't then the torch that has the least flow resistance will get nearly all the coolant and the other only gets a trickle and cooks if you were tyo weld with that.

Then you'd need to fit (ball-)valves in the hoses to the torches and turn on the coolant to the one you are using.

That's quite error prone though and likely a quick-disconnect setup as advised above is quicker and harder to forget hooking up and turning on the cooler before welding.

As an added precuation, some people do add a flow meter switch or similar in their torch-trigger circuit so the welder won't engage unless the cooler is running and flowing. It would also shut off in case the cooler develops a problem and you won't melt the torch.

Bye, Arno.
Toggatug
    Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm

If you want both torches hooked up at the same time but can't find a threaded Y fitting buy a tubing Y fitting off Amazon or the like.

I'd cut my hose wherever appropriate in the system then run a second hose to the second torch. Or if you wanna get fancy to a second threaded hookup port.

I think the best idea I read though what quick connect your system so it can be plug and play with both torches

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

drizzit1aa

BillE.Dee wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:27 pm Instead of getting "fancy" with Y connections and other hoses, you can just use quick couplers on the coolmate from each of the torches. The more fittings, the more likely you may have a leak somewhere you aren't watching/using. Either way It is up to YOU to make certain that the cooler is running.
I am doing this so 2 people can weld at the same time. The cooler is for 600 amp set ups so it will handle the 500 max amps these 2 machines can produce and neither will be maxed out.
Last edited by drizzit1aa on Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
drizzit1aa

Arno wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:24 am Using an 'Y' can work, but it would rely on the pump having significant over-capacity flow wise to feed both torches simultaneously.

If it doesn't then the torch that has the least flow resistance will get nearly all the coolant and the other only gets a trickle and cooks if you were tyo weld with that.

Then you'd need to fit (ball-)valves in the hoses to the torches and turn on the coolant to the one you are using.

That's quite error prone though and likely a quick-disconnect setup as advised above is quicker and harder to forget hooking up and turning on the cooler before welding.

As an added precuation, some people do add a flow meter switch or similar in their torch-trigger circuit so the welder won't engage unless the cooler is running and flowing. It would also shut off in case the cooler develops a problem and you won't melt the torch.

Bye, Arno.
My CK TIG torches are set up for 60 psi, the pump on the Coolmate 4 is plenty big enough to supply the pressure and volume needed for 2 torches, should I find that the torches are getting hotter than usual I can always increase the pump pressure since it's adjustable on those pumps.

I already have a quick connect on the gas. Just looking for a good no lose quick connect that doesn't require me to cut the fitting off the hose.

This setup is to run 2 welders at the same time, no need for ball valves.

Once I get a chance I am going to add a plug to the 220 Multimatic like I have done in the past with any welder the company would let me cut into the casing of their welder (more than you think appreciate me being able to do it) that is connected to the power switch so the cooler turns on when I turn on the welder.

You have a link to that flow meter that connects to the torch-trigger circuit?
drizzit1aa

Toggatug wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:56 am If you want both torches hooked up at the same time but can't find a threaded Y fitting buy a tubing Y fitting off Amazon or the like.

I'd cut my hose wherever appropriate in the system then run a second hose to the second torch. Or if you wanna get fancy to a second threaded hookup port.

I think the best idea I read though what quick connect your system so it can be plug and play with both torches

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
If I were to cut the hose and add a Y barbed fitting with a single or double tabbed clamp for silicone hoses then the main hose connect to the cooler on the return side would be getting the heat from both torches and more than likely fail.

My first thought was to make a header to connect the torches to but I cant find female fittings to do so.

I am doing this to use both machines at the same time, though once I find a no lose quick connect that doesn't make me cut the hose I'll add them.