General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
drizzit1aa
    Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:57 pm

For those that have used them before. What is a good weld estimator program for pre-fabricated parts? ... Other than a piece of paper. Get that one out of the way.
Gdarc21
    Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:44 am

Im going to assume you mean a weld deposition calculator?
In order to order the right amount of consumables?
Hobart has some good tools, miller as well. Whatever they say add 10% if ordering to cover real world conditions cause the programs only do perfect computer calcs.
Fronius has some too but those can be a bit overboard. Usually the good brands have one, I havent used one in years, I just take a good guess and overorder slightly and add to qoute. Usually close.
Are you quoting a job?
drizzit1aa

Gdarc21 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:56 pm Im going to assume you mean a weld deposition calculator?
In order to order the right amount of consumables?
Hobart has some good tools, miller as well. Whatever they say add 10% if ordering to cover real world conditions cause the programs only do perfect computer calcs.
Fronius has some too but those can be a bit overboard. Usually the good brands have one, I havent used one in years, I just take a good guess and overorder slightly and add to qoute. Usually close.
Are you quoting a job?
Not sure what to call it, a program you input data into that tells you what to charge for a job that will keep you/me competitive.

"Quoting" a job almost every week from the same company. I feel they are bending me over the preverbal barrel when telling me how much they will pay. I am a bit out of my league to be honest in this area, I was laid off from a large company as a maintenance welder because of Covid, tried for a year and a half to find another job. An engineer I worked with gave my name to this company he is working at. I was grateful, used the last of my 401K to set up a weld shop. Now here I am scrapping by and about 2K under what I need for taxes. So looking for any help I can get.
Gdarc21

https://welding.org.au/calculators/weld ... let-welds/

Something like this?
Aws may have something similar, same with miller.
You will have to set a price though, you know something like what you expect to take home plus insurances, tax, uniforms/apparel, wear and tear on equipment. Be reasonable but remember the customer is only right if they are a customer, and customers pay right. Always charge what your worth and leave good work and you should be ok, well better than what you will get if you undercharge and slap it together.
Talk to your suppliers, if you are a professional you may not pay the same for gear that others might, because of turnover etc.
Gdarc21

Work out what you can take photos of aswell. I only take photos of stuff I knock up around the house cause most of "work" is subject to intellectual property. But having a portfolio of your work speaks volumes when quoting at other companies. Spend time in you local welding supplies mainly supporting local and as by product they know who needs what.
Organise an hourly rate without parts and consumables.
And a per piece rate, without parts and consumables.
And use which ever applies, but it helps you present more confidently to prospective clients.
Other than that I dont know much more about US quoting (taxes, insurances etc)
Good luck
drizzit1aa

Gdarc21 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:56 pm https://welding.org.au/calculators/weld ... let-welds/

Something like this?
Aws may have something similar, same with miller.
You will have to set a price though, you know something like what you expect to take home plus insurances, tax, uniforms/apparel, wear and tear on equipment. Be reasonable but remember the customer is only right if they are a customer, and customers pay right. Always charge what your worth and leave good work and you should be ok, well better than what you will get if you undercharge and slap it together.
Talk to your suppliers, if you are a professional you may not pay the same for gear that others might, because of turnover etc.
Yes like that but I need one for TIG and be able to include gas consumption, it's all I do for now until I can make enough to build something with a foundation. They wanted to give me a large order that required MIG, would love to have had it but since my floors are wood I didn't think it would be a good thing.

Finding more customers that will sub out work is another entirely different nut. I have pens floating around, magnets on my truck and car, trying to build a website, stop at every company I see that might use welders to offer my services (normally don't get past the door). Seems, like around here anyways, nobody needs my type of services. It would be nice if there was a site I could go to and bid on jobs. Hell when I get a job offer from Indeed I'll decline and offer my services. One guy asked if I had a reference so I gave him the owners number (with permission) where I am doing business at. The guy called up the owner and asked him if he was certified and if he was, if he would be interested in a 16.50/hr job MIG welding. ... The owner laughed it off and offered him a job for 20/hr.

Anyways, thanks for your help mate!
Gdarc21

Voestalpine have an app for android. In metric apparently.
No app is going to be perfect though.
Gas use you may have to work out with a pen though.
For example
300cf tank at 15cfh
300 ÷ 15= 20hrs
And you only use gas when arcing so whatever percentage of the hour that is.
I dont use the apps any more, have a degree in guessology :lol: but anyway hope it helps.
drizzit1aa

Gdarc21 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:09 am Voestalpine have an app for android. In metric apparently.
No app is going to be perfect though.
Gas use you may have to work out with a pen though.
For example
300cf tank at 15cfh
300 ÷ 15= 20hrs
And you only use gas when arcing so whatever percentage of the hour that is.
I dont use the apps any more, have a degree in guessology :lol: but anyway hope it helps.
Oooo, thanks for that little tid bit. I use 120's now I know why I go through a tank a day. Woot!
BillE.Dee
    Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:53 pm

hi drizzit...seems to me that Jody did a quick bit where he gave some info how to put an estimate together. Can't remember if it was part of one of his videos or is it was actual estimating video. I'll see IF I can find it OR you can do a search. I have noticed that there many differences throughout the country, not large differences but they are there.
drizzit1aa

BillE.Dee wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:00 am hi drizzit...seems to me that Jody did a quick bit where he gave some info how to put an estimate together. Can't remember if it was part of one of his videos or is it was actual estimating video. I'll see IF I can find it OR you can do a search. I have noticed that there many differences throughout the country, not large differences but they are there.
That would be awesome, I give a try and see if I can find it. Thanks
Toggatug
    Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm

I haven't seen a weld shop directed management/ quoting software but the type of software we use at work could be modified to suit a weld shop.

Materials and gas could all be entered as part #'s sold by foot or inch or whatever unit you want I believe.

Labour you would have to work out if your going to charge hourly or by inch / foot of welding etc type of weld, type of job. There's no limit to labour codes or part #'s so really it can be as much or as little as you setup.

After the setup process it would just be click the stuff you want specify how much of it is for that job and the quote could be done.

Actually got me curious if there is weld/fab shop specific software or if people just run QuickBooks and the like.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Gdarc21

https://www.esabna.com/euweb/fm_handbook/577fm8_6.htm
There may be some useful tools here as well
Toggatug
    Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm

I googled "welding shop estimator program"

Seems to be some options to check out on the first page. Actually got me wondering about then now.

Thanks for bringing up the topic

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

drizzit1aa

For others needing this type of help.

Nothing for TIG but most others,
https://www.esabna.com/us/en/support/va ... alyzer.cfm

Excel Cost Spreadsheet
https://www.fiveminuteclasses.com/wp-co ... Excel.xlsx

Welder settings
https://prowelderguide.com/welding-calculators/