General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Jesse1973
    Tue May 25, 2021 11:16 am

Looking to upgrade from my 110v Handler 125.Should I stick with a MIG only machine or something that does Multi Process?Will be welding 1/8” to 1/4” regularly. Looking for opinions ? If MIG only which one?If Multi Process same question. Have both 240 and 120 available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

most multi's are a really basic tig added to a mig. typically scratch/lift start dc tig with next to no controls.
there are a few fully featured multi's but they are more expensive.

i have a multi and it stays rigged as a mig. it sucks as a lift tig tho early on i have used it as a stick machine.
these days i have separate tig and stick machines as the more i've gotten into tig, the more i use the advanced tig functions and setup.
tweak it until it breaks
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

How much $$$ you looking to blow? $500? $5,000? This will help people narrow down suggestions.
Jesse1973
    Tue May 25, 2021 11:16 am

Would like to stay $1k or under .That being said I don’t mind saving a bit more .So my max would be $2k or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

for that price range i would be getting just a mig.
tweak it until it breaks
sbaker56
    Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:12 am

Yeah, multiprocess is a bit of a misnomer in the sub 3.5k market, unless it has high freq start and will AC tig, it's a stick and mig welder that you can run scratch/liftarc tig on just like literally ANY other stick welder. I'm not saying they don't have their place, but they're not exactly cost saving devices in my experience.