General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
TestName
    Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:15 am

Hello, so I recently got hired for a shop. I busted the weld test, but got hired anyways to work the tools and they said I could practice welding on the side since my welds needed work (I went to school, but never ran it as hot/fast as they require in shops so this is new to me). However, when I told my mom she got my mind racing about "bad indeed reviews" and such about the company.

So of course, this gets me worried that I'm working for an unsafe sweatshop or something. The reviews aren't bad at all, just what seems like normal "managers huff each others farts" and "good place to learn so you can go someplace that's better than this place" sorta things.
I guess my biggest worry is "what if I never touch a welder again", I like welding. I'm still in school pursuing a bachelor's in science with a focus on industry and wanted to start my career instead of staying in retail for 2 more years. I guess what I'm looking for with this post is some reassurance that it's gonna be alright honestly. I'm basically determined to make welding my career and just see this as a foot in the door that I can continue improving with, but I have no idea what I'm even getting myself into as a new person into this industry, are there any tell-tale signs to look for that the place is sketchy? Honestly, the sketchiest thing is no health insurance, and you're employed through a hiring agency through them or something. But seeing as this is a mostly entry-level job it's not too surprising it doesn't offer benefits honestly.

Sorry if I seem ungrateful or something about "working in a shop and getting to practice welding on the side", i'm just taking a big leap from what i'm used too and my mind is going a thousand miles a minute thinking about this new job.
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

How many other opportunities are there locally? I would think there's loads of jobs to choose from, though you're obviously gonna have to do better on the tests. Around here, there's billboards along the highway with offers and signing bonuses just to find warm bodies. It's an employee's market for sure.

That said, I would figure that most shops are going to have you doing a lot of things other than just welding all day. I could be mistaken. And to be sure, it sounds like they're not going to have you welding at all, and just went fishing to see if you were interested in a laborer job. It's hard to say.
Gdarc21
    Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:44 am

Hi mate, I’d take the job, we all start somewhere. Reviews are good but opinions are like backsides everyone’s got one and sometimes it produces similar stuff.
You must work safely at all times, pay particular attention to stupid requests for you to work Unsafely at heights and if are required to work in a confined space without certified training AND gas monitor, emergency management plan, than that’s a hard NO...... cannot stress that enough.
Generally if your keen, committed to learning properly and safe then you will get good at knowing what to put up with, complain about or just ignore.
Guys who chuff farts and cup balls are everywhere, learn to pick em early, tell em nothing.
Work hard, don’t take crap have fun, learn to take and give jokes. If it is a crap work environment or unsafe though get outta there. Good luck congrats on new job and welcome to the trade bro.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

its a foot in the door, learn what you can and make connections so you can move on to better things.
however be aware the young and dumb are often picked on to do sketchy dangerous stuff that older wiser people will refuse.
tweak it until it breaks
clavius
    Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:32 pm

So tell us, how did this all work out? I'd be curious how it is going and what you finally decided.
Happy new year!