General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Donnie2708
    Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:08 pm

I've been in the job 6 coming on 7 years. Started off with being a machinist (basic stuff nothing too out of the ordinary) and pipefitting for three and a bit years. Then moved to the welding fab shop where I still went out fabricating, pipefitting, steelwork etc fitting handrails and a little mechanical fitting also.

Now I am more into the pipework side of things with my new job but I am getting bored and not enjoying it as much as I'd thought due to it being very slow work and a lot of standing around.

Looking to get into ship welding in Edinburgh. I've an inverter in my garage which I'm going to practise positional stick welding for the job (don't have flux core or a mig in my garage so cannot practice that).
I have tickets for forklift, cherry picker albeit an electric one. Not sure if this converts to the big diesel driven ones as there is a fair size difference.
Confined space ticket done last year also.
A few other small time tickets like abrasive wheels, working at heights etc all done.

Basically, I've a fair bit of experience but I'm more of a jack of all since coming from a small town engineering company.

What tips do you guys have for getting on at a ship welding company?