General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
William Payne
    Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:15 am

Im not far off needing to get a bit more serious about my grinder setup and in the long run im probably going to get a few for different tasks but at first I’ve been wondering about whether I should spend the money and get one of the adjustable speed INOX ones.

Just wanting to know what people think of them? I’ll either be buying Fein or Metabo as for some models Fein is cheaper and for others Metabo is.

I can see the advantage but I want some real world opinions before I go opening the wallet.
Miller Syncrowave 350LX
Esab Power Compact 205
BOC 185DC Tig
William Payne
    Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:15 am

For those wondering what INOX means what I am meaning are angle grinders with variable speed selections. Advertised as INOX grinders.

Like this for example

https://www.powertoolpeople.co.nz/produ ... le-grinder
Miller Syncrowave 350LX
Esab Power Compact 205
BOC 185DC Tig
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I have a linear and tubular that are both variable speed, but all my angular are fixed. I don’t know of a circumstance where I wanted or needed variable speed with an angular? Certainly different types of discs on an angular are in effect based upon changing the characteristics of the angular, but I suppose that is resolved already with their composition.

I do have some “polishers” that are variable speed. I’ve used them to dress some jobs, but only when the final appearance was required to be “quite lovely” and then I still needed a linear behind it to remove the swirls. (Those work fine on automotive detailing though 😉)
Toggatug
    Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm

Only real reason I can see to need one is if your planning on running things that need lower rpms on said grinder.

Things like scotch brites, cheaper wire brushes with lower rpms ratings, the sponge abrasives etc.

Or if you get into goopy material removal like undercoating/heavy paints that like to load up regular flap wheels. I find that's where low speed shines cause it really helps keep things cool and not just turn into a sticky mess.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

William Payne wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:58 am For those wondering what INOX means what I am meaning are angle grinders with variable speed selections. Advertised as INOX grinders.

Like this for example

https://www.powertoolpeople.co.nz/produ ... le-grinder
thats just BS marketing. anyone resorting to that sort of advertising is worth staying away from.

as far as variable speed angle grinders go i highly recommend them.
i have a bosch but they are available in most good makes these days.
i find they are great for things like slower rpm for stainless to avoid it getting to hot, or really slow rpm for aluminium with flap disks and no loading up the disk. it works really well.
even for steel you don't need max rpm which tends to give you better consumable life span.
tweak it until it breaks