General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
sarge338
    Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:45 pm

Hello Folks,

I recently got a few of the Walter Flex-Cut Mill Scale disks that Jody mentioned in one of his videos. It works GREAT for removing mill scale, as you'd expect, but afterward, when I try to wipe down (acetone) my material for TIG welding, my rags are decimated by the rough surface left by the Walter disk.

How are you folks prepping your material after mill scale removal? Do you have a particular type of rag that is more durable, or are you grinding your metal twice? I love how quickly these disks remove mill scale, but if I have to re-grind the material to be able to wipe it down without a pile of stuck lint, I'm not sure it's a real time saver.

Thanks!
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

A quick pass with a standard flap disk after makes it clean and easy. It does still save time because mill scale removal with a flap disk only on flat stock is pretty time consuming for TIG.
Gdarc21
    Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:44 am

3m cubitron. 36grit for metal/ millscale.
80+ grit for any pretty cnrs. Main out lay is for backing pad 30 bucks.
I dont use flap discs anymore cause cubitrons are like 3 bucks a disc and flappies are 10 give or take.
Important to note though if you mis use them they can grab a bit.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Gdarc21 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:18 am 3m cubitron. 36grit for metal/ millscale.
80+ grit for any pretty cnrs. Main out lay is for backing pad 30 bucks.
I dont use flap discs anymore cause cubitrons are like 3 bucks a disc and flappies are 10 give or take.
Important to note though if you mis use them they can grab a bit.

Heck yea 3M Cubitron-II. I need to order more 967A T29 Giant's. They are the bomb.
Toggatug
    Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm

Personally I don't bother with a chemical wipe down after the millscale disc. At most the plate will get a power wire brush down.

I chemically clean with brake kleen(non chlorinated of course) or acetone, really whichever is closer I don't notice a difference. Then I go at it with mill disc and just give it a compressed air blow to remove the debris.

My brain just says get rid of the oil contamination before abrasives have a chance to push it into the metal.

Keep in mind this is for mig welding repair plates to giant rusted out fuel and oil tanks.

Might not be by the books but it works well enough that my welds don't fail before the repair plates rot out again a few years down the road.