General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:30 pm

I have a 100-foot air hose with no reel. I got it so I could use it with a portable compressor or connect it to the end of a hose going to my stationary compressor.

My original storage solution, i.e. throwing it on the shop floor, is not working out. How do the rest of you store spare hoses you want to be able to carry around? I already have wall-mounted reels for my other hoses.
I was socially distant when social distancing wasn't cool.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

mines all over the floor, i've been meaning to put mine on the wall.
simple thing is a big wall hook you can coil the hose up and put it on.
tweak it until it breaks

I want to be able to carry it into a house or wherever I want. It's annoying, because I can get a 50-foot reel but not a 100-foot reel.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

or get a reel and put it on a stand that you can pick up and move.
you might even be able to buy them like that. ie like a garden hose setup.
tweak it until it breaks
BugHunter
    Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:54 pm

I don't know if they make something similar for air hose, but for extension cords they make a super nice reel that's small, portable, and doesn't twist the hell out of the cords.

https://www.harborfreight.com/150-ft-ex ... 39343.html

You hold the black handle gizmo with one hand and turn using the knob with the other. The black thing slides on the inside of the reel.

I'm sure it's too small for 100' of 3/8" air line, but I'd almost give it a try... Or, use 2 of em on 2 50' hoses.

I got a $25 reel from Harbor Freight, and I'll find a way to put a handle and rubber feet on it. Should work.
Toggatug
    Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm

For 100' your either going to have to buy something high end and expensive or buy something cheap and modify to suit.

I got a $20 reel from princess auto (Canadian harbor freight) it's meant for 50' but I can see it being modified for 100' portable in a couple hours tops.

Or you can buy the air swivel portion and fabricate your own from the ground up as a project if you got the time.

I should have come back and shown everyone what I got.

I picked up a Harbor Freight reel for $25 and screwed it to a board that has rubber feet on the bottom. Painted the board with Rust-Oleum hammer finish paint. It will work perfectly, and it's not heavy. Good enough.
Attachments
07 06 22 portable air hose reel harbor freight small.jpg
07 06 22 portable air hose reel harbor freight small.jpg (341.19 KiB) Viewed 9099 times
Toggatug
    Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm

That'll do for years to come as long as the pesky orings in the swivel portion don't blow out.

I got the clone of that from PA for our paint booth line. Still going after 5 years ish, just had to change the inlet fitting on it once I believe.

Should work out okay. I use it about three times a year.