General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
dabe
    Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:18 am

I have a helmet which has an oversize viewing area (https://benchmarkabrasives.com/products ... be24&_ss=r).

I can find 2" x 4.25" cheater lenses everywhere, but I have not been able to find any 3" x 4.25 cheater lenses.

I am using a 2" x 4.25" cheater lens now and it works great, but it would be nice to be able to use the entire viewing area of the helmet.

Thanks for any suggestions!

David
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Cheater lenses are like reading glasses; they don’t cover the entire viewing area, only the portion you “read” through. I’ve never seen a 3” cheater, always have been installed in the bottom half of the lens or the top when working overhead (that’s why you can slide them up and down).
Toggatug
    Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:06 pm

Only ever seen 2" cheaters as well. Mind you I've never looked for them yet.

Could always try cutting one down with a glass cutter and fitting it in.
dabe
    Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:18 am

Thanks for the feedback!

I have found having part of the viewing area without magnification is very handy when welding in uncomfortable places (like under the dash on my 53 truck project) 😀. I am now pretty happy I couldn’t find a larger cheater lens!
    Sat May 24, 2014 5:55 pm

I wanted to find one for my cheap, backup non-auto helmet as well (in case the batteries died or something on my Optrel Crystal 2.0 that I usually use, and i wear both glasses and use a strong cheater lens as well (hey, getting old sucks... ya gotta do what ya gotta do!)... but had no luck finding it either. But like said above, a cheater lens is like reading glasses, they only work up close in a small area... so making them larger would make no sense.
can't believe it took me this many years to buy a diamond wheel for my bench grinder... what a difference