General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
bruce991
    Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:31 pm

I just bought an arc welder rod holder that is the one that you put the rod into then twist to grip the rod. It came with a small piece of very thin copper about 1/2 in square. No instructions came with it so have no idea its purpose. Maybe to wrap around the copper cable strands that slide into the base of the holder before clamping down the set screws that hold the cable inside the handle? Any ideas guys?
Jack Ryan
    Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:20 pm

bruce991 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:00 pm I just bought an arc welder rod holder that is the one that you put the rod into then twist to grip the rod. It came with a small piece of very thin copper about 1/2 in square. No instructions came with it so have no idea its purpose. Maybe to wrap around the copper cable strands that slide into the base of the holder before clamping down the set screws that hold the cable inside the handle? Any ideas guys?
When I've bought them they came with either a shoe or a ferrule to contain the welding cable when the grub screws were tightened.

If there is an extra bit of copper it might be to build up the cable if its cross sectional area is less than the opening where it is terminated.

Jack