General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
LarryL
    Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:40 pm

I'm not a professional welder but have been welding off and on for many years. Lately as I've gotten older, now 80, Ifind that I'm having a harder time seeing the weld pool clearly. Most of my welding these days has been mIG on mild steel, but also some TIG on aluminum. I have a couple of self darkening helmets and have tried various settings on both without any luck. I'm wondering if there are helmets that are better at blocking UV while still passing enough spectrum to make viewing better?
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

First thing I’d suggest is a “cheater lens” if you aren’t yet using one. As we age, our eyes collect less light in general. If you’re struggling for focus, your pupils are bouncing around with their dilation, further hindering light gathering.

Many models of modern helmets have switched to a blue light lens and definitely offer larger viewing apertures and better light filtering when welding. You’ll spend above $200 for a high quality helmet with modern features, so that may impact your choice.

Another thing to pay attention to is background ambient light. If there is light reflecting into your helmet from behind, it can adversely effect the sensors.
    Sat May 24, 2014 5:55 pm

I never needed glasses until I got into my 50's, and now into my late 60's my eyes are even worse (way worse)...and like said above, get a cheater lens, they work great, just snaps right into the inside of your helmet and viola', you can see, and they come in various strengths. The problem with a cheater lens that I've found, is like wearing glasses... if you set it up to weld close, but you end up in a situation where you can't get your head close and are welding from a distance, it goes out of focus again... so you'd have to take the cheater lens off (or remove your glasses), just for that weld. But as far as helmets (or hoods as most call them, sorry... I've always called them helmets), not all helmets are created equal... not even close, but they're not cheap when you get into the better ones. I was a fan of my 3M Speedglas for many years until I accidentally ruined the helmet, but the timing was perfect because that's when Optrel came out with their Clearview lens, so I bought the Optrel Crystal 2.0 and WOW, that's all I gotta say... it's so absurdly clear you don't know you have a helmet on. The problem with the Optrel, is that it's so clear, sometimes you forget you don't have your helmet on and end up flashing yourself (I've done this a few times when I've switched over to just my hearing muffs and safety glasses grinding something (I don't like grinding with my helmet on), and I feel something on my head and think it's my helmet... and go to weld and FLASH.. Oops.

But yeah, get a cheater lens.... or a couple of them in various strengths.. every welding site has them, and they're cheap. But if you're into buying a new helmet, I highly recommend the Optrel Clearview lens line... specifically the Optrel Crystal 2.0... you'll be amazed, and never buy anything else again, it's just that much better.
can't believe it took me this many years to buy a diamond wheel for my bench grinder... what a difference
kamma10

raticus wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:37 am I never needed glasses until I got into my 50's, and now into my late 60's my eyes are even worse (way worse)...and like said above, get a cheater lens, they work great, just snaps right into the inside of your helmet and viola', you can see, and they come in various strengths. The problem with a cheater lens that I've found, is like wearing glasses... if you set it up to weld close, but you end up in a situation where you can't get your head close and are welding from a distance, it goes out of focus again... so you'd have to take the cheater lens off (or remove your glasses), just for that weld. But as far as helmets (or hoods as most call them, sorry... I've always called them helmets), not all helmets are created equal... not even close, but they're not cheap when you get into the better ones. I was a fan of my 3M Speedglas for many years until I accidentally ruined the helmet, but the timing was perfect because that's when Optrel came out with their Clearview lens, so I bought the Optrel Crystal 2.0 and WOW, that's all I gotta say... it's so absurdly clear you don't know you have a helmet on. The problem with the Optrel, is that it's so clear, sometimes you forget you don't have your helmet on and end up flashing yourself (I've done this a few times when I've switched over to just my hearing muffs and safety glasses grinding something (I don't like grinding with my helmet on), and I feel something on my head and think it's my helmet... and go to weld and FLASH.. Oops.

But yeah, get a cheater lens.... or a couple of them in various strengths.. every welding site has them, and they're cheap. But if you're into buying a new helmet, I highly recommend the Optrel Clearview lens line... specifically the Optrel Crystal 2.0... you'll be amazed, and never buy anything else again, it's just that much better.
This is awesome! Not the getting flashed part, but how the clarity is working for you. Can we use your testimonial in a social media post?
cwby
    Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:07 pm

ESAB Savage A40 is a reasonable option. Amazon - $132.00

https://esab.com/us/nam_en/products-sol ... avage-a40/
ozarkwelding
    Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:33 am

I was having issues learning to tig weld. i couldn't see the puddle. I almost gave up. I decided to try a cheater lens. Made all the difference in the world. Amazon has some lenses that are glass and not plastic those are the ones I decided on. I bought a two pack and the first lens has held up for months. My helmet has a pretty long slot for the lens so I can move it out of the way without removing it. My helmet is a cheap Vulcan arc safe.