General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Greg From K/W
    Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:55 pm

I didn't want to hijack the other thread about the cap welds.

This isn't from welding but i thought it warrants a discussion. It could be a very dangerous thing to wear them.

Here is one story from my carpentry days.

I was working with a younger fella. He was a nice guy but wouldn't listen to us when we told him not to wear contacts to the renovation jobs. He kept doing it and eventually wound up with a nasty eye infection. Took him over a month to get it cleared up.

Now that is minor compared to welding and having them melt to your eye. I think though it would be worth talking about and doing some research here about this topic guys. It is for our combined safety after all.

Gentlemen Start your Engines lol.
Greg From K/W
    Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:55 pm

Well this is interesting

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/cornea.asp

Guess we can rule that out. Though I still ask if wearing them in an industrial site is wise. Particulate could still get into your eye or under the lens and damage your eye. Why would you risk it?
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

If you're wearing safety glasses, you should be okay for the most part. I have a harder time with welding smoke getting in my eyes than any particulate matter. If I'm working on the lathe or mill, I never wear glasses cause I'm nearsighteed and can't read the 1000'ths that well with them, and I have been hit in the eyes with little bits of metal flying off the piece on rare occasions. Fortunately no damage yet, but it seems like your eyelid reacts almost automatically and blinks when it sees a chunk coming towards it.
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder