General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
olddude
    Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:48 am

I'm in the market for a new welder to replace my old Dynasty 300 DX the got burned up along with everything else I owned when my shop burned to the ground. I liked my old machine but at this point I really don't need that much machine any more. I just replaced my old millermatic 252 with a millermatic 255 and I bought a XR AlumaPro push pull gun and I do thing I can weld most Of the Aluminum I do on the 255. I was looking at the Dynasty 280 DX and was about to buy it when someone told me that machine is now obsolete. I don't want to make the same mistake as I did when I bought the Dynasty 300 only to find out a week and a half later that they had just come out with the Dynasty 350 DX which almost made the machine I just bought obsolete. I know they are still making the 280 DX machines but am wondering what to do next. I don't plan on spending 17 to $18,000.00 for a new welder that I really don't need. I guess what I'm asking is just how obsolete is that 280 DX machine?
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

The 280 is not obsolete. It is their highest rated portable TIG box. Beyond it, you have to go to a shop level machine. With the water cooler, you’ll be in the $7k range.

Sorry to hear about your shop- hopefully everyone and everything turns out well for you.
olddude

That's what I was thinking, I don't know why those other two forums told me that. I'll probably go that route because what I mainly wanted was a pulse with hi frequency machine that will weld 1/4" and maybe up to 3/8" occasionally. Most of the aluminum I weld I can do with the mig machine.
sportster
    Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:52 am

https://www.millerwelds.com/equipment/welders/tig-gtaw

https://www.millerwelds.com/-/media/mil ... _guide.pdf

Just a heads up... it seems Miller has dropped the 210 DX and 280 DX from their current product guides. See links above. My interpretation is the new Dynasty 300 is the marketing replacement for the 280 DX.

That's not to say the 280 DX is "obsolete" ..... but with it removed from the Miller marketing materials it seems it's on its way out. Of course, some distributors might have old stock they're trying to move or otherwise "unload"..... so I can only suggest >>>> watch the retail prices of the 280 DX vs 300 carefully..... and make your choice.

BTW, the new 300 does have Independent AC included, while it's an ~ $600 option for the SD card on the 280 DX.... in case that's important to you.
olddude

Well, I went on and bought the new Dynasty 300 package. I almost made a huge mistake. I was about to buy it from one place, but something told me to go back to another site I had been looking at. I'm glad I did because they were a little over $2500.00 less than the other site. This machine was priced pretty close to what the Dynasty 280 DX machine I was looking at. I also got a $750.00 up front rebate to boot. That other site didn't even say anything about that. I'm glad now that I waited for awhile so I could get my head wrapped around this whole welder buying thing. I also hope this machine is as good as my old Dynasty 300 DX machine was. Thanks for all you guys help with this.

sportster wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:08 pm https://www.millerwelds.com/equipment/welders/tig-gtaw

https://www.millerwelds.com/-/media/mil ... _guide.pdf

Just a heads up... it seems Miller has dropped the 210 DX and 280 DX from their current product guides. See links above. My interpretation is the new Dynasty 300 is the marketing replacement for the 280 DX.
The 210Dx is indeed still in the lineup, in fact it has the new interface
Screenshot 2023-07-16 193656.jpg
Screenshot 2023-07-16 193656.jpg (91.62 KiB) Viewed 9154 times
Richard
Website