General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
IsaacL
    Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:24 am

Looking for some advice please,

Used to be an apprentice welder for an oil and gas fabrication firm. They put me through my 6G for duel shield and solid wire root. Loved it. Unfortunately due to covid I had to leave that place. I was lucky enough to finish my apprenticeship at a ship yard which I'm very thankful for, but, they're quality standards are pretty poor and I miss working to a higher standard
Looking to get off shore in either oil and gas or wind work. Or pipelines.
Going to get some training and sit a 6g mma test soon. However I know that just because I can pass a pipe test doesn't necessarily mean I'll be any good at all the varied jobs required.

I suppose what I'm asking is do new employers ease you in since it'd be a new welding process for me or do they just expect you to hit the ground running? Any advice would be greatly appreciated on how I can move up in the world.
Thanks!
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I don't know that you will get a firm answer to your question. As a general rule, employers will look at your certifications, but also equally important is your experience with that cert in prior employment.

A good employer will see you have the skills and help you build the experience. They are harder to find, but given how shorthanded most firms are today for skilled, hard-working tradespeople, I think this will change. Employers are beginning to realize they can't turn and burn employees because there's a major shortage here in the US.

My recommendation when interviewing is be upfront. Be honest about your experience, your determination, and show them an attitude of commitment from you that will encourage their investment in you. Works more times than not and proves the adage: Attitude means more than aptitude.

Best of luck!