General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
stefuel
    Sat May 27, 2017 6:26 am

I have to replace my favorite mig welder that got loaned out and was damaged in a fire. Co is out of biz so no parts to repair it.
You would have to be a oldie to even have ever seen one. It was a SAM. The thing I liked best about it was it was adjustable on the fly with a knob on the gun. Why that was never embraced by others I'll never know. I thought it was a cool feature especially if you're under a car or up on a ladder. Anyway, I'm retired but still occasionally find the need to repair stuff. I already have a multi-process welder (tig, stick and plasma) but want a reasonably powerful wire feeder as most of the stuff I do is 1/8th to 3/8ths. I don't have any experience with Thermal Arc but seem to recall them being decent. I found a older 180 Fabricator for a reasonable price but can't seem to find any information on it. It's analog controls so assume it's transformer based. It's only 240 volt and heavy (80 lbs). Anyone familiar with this? As long as it will do MIG and Flux core. I'd be happy. Spool gun would be a plus.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

adjustment on the gun is not uncommon. not sure about the usa stuff but i see it often on euro machines.
tweak it until it breaks