General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
vdotmatrix
    Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:03 pm

I have two argon cylinders, an 80 and a 20. I exchange them for refills every so often. The smaller is my back up but when I switch them over, the setup malfunctions and it leaks.

Question: would you trade these two cylinders for the next larger size, a #4 (125) if they are willing?
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I don’t see how having a single larger bottle will solve your setup problems. Can you be more specific about what the actual problem is?
vdotmatrix
    Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:03 pm

cj737 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:01 am I don’t see how having a single larger bottle will solve your setup problems. Can you be more specific about what the actual problem is?
Just to get rid of an extra cylinder. Would this be a fair trade or a loss?
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

If your shop space is so small that the extra cylinder is a problem, then trade up to a 300. But if you ever run out/low and can't get more, youre stuck. With a spare cylinder, you'll likely always have enough to get through a weekend/holiday with gas when its needed.

To each their own-

But that still doesnt explain why your setup fails after a bottle switch???
tRidiot
    Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:01 am

My thoughts, too. I have 2 medium cylinders. It's worth paying the rent on them annually, as I got stuck without gas on two separate weekends and couldn't do much of anything. I vowed not to let that happen again.

It's the loss of gas that's an issue - you've got a bad connection if you're leaking. Are you thinking there's something wrong with the bottle itself? I've found it's usually my technique putting things together that lets gas leak.