General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
taiwanluthiers
    Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:21 am

I know we don't do this, but can you simply grind off the galvanized coating from the metal from wherever you intend to weld, as well as any intended heat affected zone? Or does it just smear like oil and it never comes off?

I swear people here they just stick weld galvanized metal and they don't even care.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

You can grind the galvanizing off, both sides and far enough away from your weld and then weld it safely. I’d still strongly encourage a respirator.

Even stick welding should be done with a respirator (not common unfortunately). The fumes can lead to Parkinson’s and other nervous system ailments. Of course if you stick galvanized, you won’t live long enough to worry about those ailments ;)
taiwanluthiers

So is zinc vapor THAT bad, like cyanide bad?

I ask this because I see people in Taiwan routinely weld galvanized and none of them is wearing any PPE, heck a lot of them don't even bother wearing a welding mask. They either look away (meaning you can't weld right because you got no idea what you are welding) or block the arc with a piece of metal (seen this done). Those auto darkening helmets aren't expensive.

By the way does this mean you need to wear serious PPE if you are welding or even brazing brass? It's an alloy of zinc and copper.
cj737

Brazing doesn’t melt the parent material. It only heats the parent enough to melt the filler. So no, PPE isn’t required. It’s ALWAYS recommended when welding anything truth be told.

I’ve seen lots of folks not wear it. Welders don’t grow old, they just retire early. Either their eyes fail, hands shake, or knees give out. It’s not for sissies for sure. Career welders are a tough lot. Work in terrible conditions and do a tough job. Mad respect to them all.
    Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:51 am

taiwanluthiers wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:23 am So is zinc vapor THAT bad, like cyanide bad?
No. Zinc oxide exposure is fairly harmless in the short run. It can make you feel quite sick with coughing, fever and such, but unlike lead and other heavy metals like cadmium it doesn't accumulate and poision you long-term.

Eg. see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_fume_fever

Still not advised as high levels of zinc in your body can interfere with the take up of other elements like copper from your food that you do need...

As it can still make you pretty ill and potentially unable to work, it's best to use PPE and extraction fans to limit the exposure just to avoid the effects.

Bye, Arno.
tweake
    Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:53 am

to add, grinding the galv off makes the welding easier. you still often end up with traces left over which makes tig a nitemare. so stick or mig is recommended.
tweak it until it breaks
taiwanluthiers

Is there a difference between welding 8 hours a day, or welding maybe an hour a week (if that)? I know OSHA generally cares about occupational exposure but you can't assume all welders do it for a living.

I mainly practice when I got time/money/material just to have a skill... is breathing a little bit of fumes once in a blue moon going to hurt, vs welding 8 hours a day and smelling those fumes all the time, 5 days a week?
cj737

I’ve welded miles of filler with TIG and never worn PPE. So too with MIG.

Since the bill of Stick and FC I’ve done has been outdoors, no PPE there either.

For Galvanized or coated metals, I’d probably not risk it and at least put on a mask. But if you’re outdoors and have it a good scrub, probably just fine without it