General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
weldingMan
    Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:12 pm

Hello brothers/sisters, hope you're all doing well.

I've come here for advice I'm considering buying a welding truck and going out on my own but can't help but feel inadequate/afraid ? It's a big investment and I feel like there are a lot of unknowns in terms of work being spotty where and when it'll be there etc.

I've been welding for about 15 years now half of which doing pressure work mostly tig/wire roots wire fill and cap. Done a bunch of tig root stick fill cap and some orbital/bug/automatic work. The only thing I don't feel terribly confident in is my stick rooting because I've never had to do it in all those years (mainly shop work) although I do hold a valid (F3/F4 - not sure if this is universal in the states but is 6010 root/7018 all the way out) its just something I need to practice for a day or two. I have a fair amount of shop fitting experience so I can fit for myself if need be.

Not exactly sure what i'm asking I just don't want to make a mistake spending $50,000+ . Maybe just curious how it went for you? are companies forgiving with guys who are just breaking out or is it dog eat dog? I imagine it'll get some taking use to but the welding work to me is the same shit just mobile off a generator instead of 600V 3phase.

What is your experiences would you do it again ? I'm in Western Canada if it makes a difference.

thanks for listening and for any advice cheers,