General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
ebranden
    Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:19 pm

A newby here guys! I have been looking at the local chain building supply houses (Lowes - Home Depot) at Mig welding equipment. I recently got on Eastwood Company site that in the automotive supply business. I have been doing some research on their equipment. Other than the reviews on their web site, I can't really find out much about their MIG/TIG or Plasma equipment. Can or will, any of you folks give me a good heads up on this equipment?? I know one of the Big 3 Hobart/Lincoln/Miller will always be the best choice, but I'm just an old retired hobbiest on a fixed retirement income, and can no longer afford the Cadillac series when I buy tools and equipment. Just appreciate any help any of you folks can muster up!....................................................Brandy :) :)
taylorkh
    Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:43 am

I can't say anything against Eastwood but I can say a lot FOR some US welding manufacturers. I have purchased some non-welding, car restoration items from Eastwood. That is their specialty. From what I have found in searching the web it appears that their welding and plasma cutting equipment is made in China. They claim it is made in THEIR factories and not simply some other company's product branded as Eastwood. That make me wonder... As for my welding equipment I have purchased items from Hobart, Miller and Hypertherm. Making welding equipment is their specialty.

I purchased my Hobart HH180 from Tractor Supply in 2005. A great package deal with an auto darkening helmet, cart and some other items in addition to the welder. After about 6 months use I was having a problem when I fed a new spool of wire. Well actually re-feeding a spool after changing wire size. The wire would hang up in the gas diffuser (also called contact tip adapter) at the end of the gun. I determined that the liner (the spiral wound tube which directs the wire to the gun) was too short. I don't know it it got wet and shrank :lol: was too short from the factory or if the outer hose from the welder to the gun stretched with use. Anyhow, I called Hobart. They sent me a new liner no charge, no questions and it came second day Fed Ex. The Hobart representative also explained how to determine the proper length and how to trim the new liner to fit properly. It has worked fine since.

My second purchase was a Miller Diversion 165 TIG welder. A real nice unit. When it arrived I noticed that the brass hose barb on the gas regulator had been installed with the wrong size wrench and a couple of the flats were a little buggered. Just a cosmetic issue. I called Miller and as the hose barb also contained the flow orifice they sent me a whole new regulator!

And finally I purchased a Hypertherm Powermax 30 plasma cutter. I unpacked it and turned it upside down to verify the serial number. I heard a tinkle as something bounced around inside the unit. Sounded like the proverbial loose screw. Turned out to be a loose 8mm brass nut. I filled out the on-line registration and added a comment about the loose nut bouncing around all of the high $ electronics. In LESS THAN AN HOUR I got an email back from the manager of hand held plasma cutters at Hypertherm apologizing for the inconvenience. This was about 4:30 in the afternoon. The next morning I got back from walking the dog at about 7:30. The wife was raising H. She had been woken not once but twice by the phone - calls from Hypertherm, The person there needed to talk to me before heading to a meeting at 8AM. I called him and he explained that he had gone through a Powermax 30 and there were only two places where an 8mm nut was used. He offered to talk me though how to disassemble the unit to verify that the two wires were properly tightened. I declined the offer as I had already pulled the cover to search for the source of the rattle. I later pulled the cover again and verified that the wires were attached. Just an extra nut which got into the unit on the assembly line.

What I am attempting to document here is CUSTOMER SERVICE. Something which is all too lacking these days. I am sure that Eastwood would make good on a defective unit. However, I would prefer to be able to speak with the actual manufactured as opposed to the middleman/reseller.

Just my thoughts...

Ken
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi,

Customer service does count for ALOT. Guys I have talked to say they would buy a unit where they could talk directly to the sales rep rather than over a phone. regardless of features. Points to ponder I guess.
Mick
Ed from Ohiol
    Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:15 pm

Brandy, If you are looking for another alternative, I would check into Everlast Welders. I have bought 3 products from them in the last 1 1/2 years and had very good support and info from their rep. Mark. I bought the 250EX tig welder, matching cooler and a powerplasma 50 plasma cutter. Never a major problem yet, just needed support and info on water flow adjustments for the cooler. I think they are one of the better imports. I also own 4 other machines- Miller, Lincoln and Century/Lincoln and have nothing but praise for those welders. I felt after seeing Weldingtipsandtricks review of Everlast on performance and the price difference for what I needed made it worth the purchase. Just my opinion. Ed K.