General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
jem44357
    Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:18 am

Hi all,

I have a Lincoln stick welder/generator along with a set of torches. My welding skills and knowledge are limited and I do not weld much. The Lincoln is a hassle because it is an 8hp Briggs which is hard for me to pull start and it is loud, this is the reason for lack of skills because of no practice. I want to keep it because of the generator also the unit does not have many hours on it. So my question is should I purchase a mig or a tig? Which would complement what I currently have? What would be a good unit for a beginner who will most likely only do small projects like welding fasting tabs to a frame. Maybe do up some exhaust and move some motor mounts and so on?

:?: Jim :?:
travlinbumm
    Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:49 pm

Hi Jim,
I would recommend a tune-up for the Lincoln :P
As far as new equipment goes I think you should go with a small/medium mig set-up. Check to see what you have for available power... ie 120volt/240volt. Some of the small/med. migs have dual input voltage, like the MillerMatic 211 auto-set. Some of the small/med. mig machines also work with spool-guns for welding aluminum.
Later on, maybe a few successful years down the road, you can look into a better engine drive and a tig set-up.

Make time to get that Lincoln started and practice, practice, practice.
I don't mean to cut you down but welding is a tough gig. If you can't bring yourself to practice because your welder is loud and hard to start, what are you going to do when a hot piece of slag burns your left nipple off?
Will
brian
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:11 pm

I must not be as good as Will. I've only had part of my right nipple burnt off. But I would say he's right, You can do alot with a small to medium MIG machine. Plus the learning curve on a MIG is fairly quick, for most people.
jem44357

Thanks for the input. As far as the hard to start it is relative to me being short and the stroke of the pull start being long. This is augmented by the fact that it sits on a raised shelf under my welding table ~6" up. When I pull it I am lucky to get 1 rev it seems to like 2. If I put it on the floor and stand on something it starts easy. Also I have 3 displaced vertebras in my neck which doesn’t help at all. I have looked into getting electric start for it. Once that is done I will run the exhaust out of my shop with some kind of a muffler. As far as power I have whatever I need 120/240.

"Make time to get that Lincoln started and practice, practice, practice." That is why I am here trying to educate myself and see what my options are so I can get down that road.

"I don't mean to cut you down but welding is a tough gig. If you can't bring yourself to practice because your welder is loud and hard to start, what are you going to do when a hot piece of slag burns your left nipple off?" I could handle that but the neck thing is well... a pain in the neck. :)

I will check into your recommendations.

Thanks again
Jim
gnabgib
    Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:55 am

Why not look at an electric starter?
rickbreezy
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:08 pm

i find in automotive welding that some projects can just be too dirty for tig. fluxcore, is usefull, and the wire should be inter changable with mig wire in that sort of setup, so you get the best of both worlds. When your metal is too rusty or thin for a fluxcore(FC needs more heat) I use the mig. Most parts of automobile dont have enough pressure or structural strain to break welds, even when it is a dog-shit mig weld filled with pinholes.

and the torch set you have can do anything tig can do, so theres no need for that in a hobbyist type enviornment.

So my answer is a dual flux-core/mig wirefeed machine, or a box compatible with your lincoln.

-rick
jem44357

gnabgib wrote:Why not look at an electric starter?
Sorry it's taken so long to respond. I've been busy.

I have searched through Lincoln/B&S stuff but can't find a direct straight answer for the model and or serial numbers I have. I need to take my numbers to a service center for B&S and have them help me out. Also that will not help with the noise and fueling issues. Thanks for the response.

Jim
jem44357

rickbreezy wrote:i find in automotive welding that some projects can just be too dirty for tig. fluxcore, is usefull, and the wire should be inter changable with mig wire in that sort of setup, so you get the best of both worlds. When your metal is too rusty or thin for a fluxcore(FC needs more heat) I use the mig. Most parts of automobile dont have enough pressure or structural strain to break welds, even when it is a dog-shit mig weld filled with pinholes.

and the torch set you have can do anything tig can do, so theres no need for that in a hobbyist type enviornment.

So my answer is a dual flux-core/mig wirefeed machine, or a box compatible with your lincoln.

-rick
Good info thanks much
Jim
jem44357

OK, dead end on the electric start. Briggs does not make or stock the flywheel I need. I searched around and I cannot find one. My flywheel will not accept the ring gear they have. I am definitely going to purchase a new welder. Maybe one to replace the Lincoln. This means I would also need to purchase a generator. I Googled MillerMatic 211 auto-set suggested by travlinbumm which I like the looks of. I also saw some cheaper units online and at Tractor Supply with the same or very close to the same capabilities. I also understand... YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. As I stated I do not weld much and only need it for light to light/medium duty. Would I be wrong to try to save a bit to invest in the kit car I am building or should I just bust out the dough and go which is in short supply? Hmm imagine that!

Jim
jem44357

OK, so this is what I did for the best bang for my buck. I purchased these...

Hobart Handler 140 Welder

Process Type: MIG, Flux Core
Welding Amperage Range: 25-140 A
Input Voltage: 115 VAC
Weld Thickness: 24 ga. - 1/4 inch - Single Pass
Duty Cycle: 20% @ 90 A, 19VDC
Width: 10-3/4 in.
Length: 19-1/2 in.
Height: 12-1/2 in.
Weight: 66 lb.
Warranty: 5-Year/3-Year/1-Year, Parts & Labor

and...

Hobart Airforce™ 250ci Plasma Cutter

Width: 11-3/5 in.
Length: 18-1/4 in.
Height: 17 in.
Cutting Thickness (Steel): Up to 1/4 in.
Input Voltage: 115 VAC
Duty Cycle: 35% @ 12A, 110 VDC

I wired my garage for 220 from the main box 20 amp breaker in the house with 8awg to a switch box with an 30' 12awg flexible extension cord for the welders. I will bust it through to my shop so I can wire lights, switches and outlets. I will also add a 220v outlet with a patch cord for my semi-retired Lincoln stick welder/generator, just incase I need to back feed power during a power outage. I will register today for a basic welding class for the 7.5 week spring term at the local community college. I plan on taking more classes in auto body so I may acquire the skills to complete my kit car. Life is good and summer is on the way!

Jim
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

I think you did alright, depending on the price tag. Hobart is owned by Miller and is really their next line down but is still a good product.
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator