General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Hardrock
    Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:49 pm

I am going to purchase a Dynasty 200 DX. Just what exactly do I need to get it going.
The complete package deal is a bit pricey. Can I substitute other products and just go with the unit?

Has anybody done it this way? I’ll need some help.

I have 1 million questions as this will be my first welder. I have had 1 year of Tech School for stick and have been Tig welding boat prop blades for more years than I can remember but when it comes to welding machines like the Dynasty, well I am a total noob.
LightningStalker
    Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:12 pm

First you'll want to read through this:
http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/spec_sheets/AD4-8.pdf

If you just get the power unit, you'll need a tig torch, ground cable/clamp, gas regulator and hose, and either the foot pedal or a finger control. From there, it depends on the type of torch you get. You can use any type of cooler you want, or just use an air cooled torch. There are adapters for different torch and cooler setups. My buddy sells welders and would know exactly what you need. I can PM you his number if you want to give him a call.
LightningStalker
    Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:12 pm

I forgot to mention that half the expense of a welder is the wiring. You can install a whole breaker box to run some outlets for a grinder, etc. You can also install a small branch breaker or fuse box near the outlet so you don't have to go far to reset a breaker or change a fuse. The third way is just to add a breaker to your main box (if there's a space for one) and wire the outlet off of that. If your house is wired for an electric range or dryer you're not using, you can change the outlet out for a welder outlet and plug in there, or just detach it at the breaker and run a new wire and have the outlet where you want it. You can even wire it from another appliance, such as an air conditioner, but they can't both be running at the same time or something will get messed up. If you're lucky, the breaker will just trip, but why take a chance? They make selector boxes that switch between two appliances so they can't both run at once. I doubt your house has 3 phase, so run 240V. The Dynasty can run on 120V, but only at reduced power. IF you do have 3 phase, by all means, use that, but it's rare.
mfs
  • mfs
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:23 pm

also mite want to get cable covers
i went water cooled on mine weldtec has a water cooler upgrade package that comes with cooler adapter torch.

the problem i have is how do i cleanly hook up the cooler so that the cooler turns on when i turn on the welder? the cooler can be wired 120v or 220v.
metafos
    Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:02 am

Some welding machines have 120 vac outlets located on the front panels. Some of these outlets supply power when the unit is turned on so the cooler will come on when the welder is turned on.
gary roushkolb
    Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:03 am

You have bought one of the thest TIG welders made in my opinion. I have just bought a pulser model from my origional non-pulser Dynasty 200. I am loving the use of a pulser and it has speeded up my work also.
If your going water cooled get a Coolmate 1 from Miller they are quieter than a larger coolmate or Bernard. I even made a water cooler and replaced it because it was too loud, just got on my nerves during a normal work day. You can also hook up to a water source like a hose if you put a solenoid in line, you can get from a salvaged welder at your supply store or industrial supply.
I have made a 50 foot extension cord with changable plug ins so I can make my unit portable to take to shops to repair broken aluminum frames on wrecks. I charge them a transportation fee of $50 extra to go to their shop. I just pile the welder and bottle and cooler in the back of my Geo Tracker and go.
This is a great welder and I'm sure you'll love it, I also have a hand amperage control that I use instead of a foot control for those tight places, but don't like the fact that it's not spring loaded to off position. It's a life saver when your in a "out of normal" position.
    Mon May 12, 2014 12:06 am

Prices add up quickly with cables, the contractors kit might work http://www.weldersupply.com/P/931/MILLERCONTRACTORKIT
Glen
Miller Dynasty 200DX - Millermatic 350P - Hypertherm Powermax 45 - Hobart Handler 150
wrinkleneck
    Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:53 pm

Old post I know, but today just buy the HTP-221 and forget it. You will save over a thousand bucks and get more TIG/STICK features and arc control compared to the Miller Dynasty 200 DX.

And no, the HTP-221 ain't made in China /it is made in Italy where inverter tech rules.

Google key words "HTP-221" and try to discover a single negative comment or failure even after many years in service world wide....Before the HTP-221 was the HTP-201 and it too performed flawlessly for over ten years worldwide before it was upgraded to the 221.

My HTP-221 arrives Monday.