General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
ObsessiveResearch
    Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:47 am

Ok, to say I'm new to welding is an understatment. I'm so new, I havn't started anything yet, except research. This site has helped alot but I need more info on welding programs and schools. I want to know, which one would YOU choose? Travel doesn't really matter. I'm in Canada, so almost anywhere I go will be a long drive. If there are good places in Canada thats a bonus, but I don't really care. As long as I am competent enough to pass the testing, it doesn't matter where I learn.

I plan on spending time this summer trying things out, and making sure its what I want to do. I live in Alberta, so the majority of welders work in the oilfeild.

Even if I decide later that I don't want to make a career out of it, I can still come up with quite a few projects of my own to do. I work with horses, and no self respecting horse owner would say no to pipe fencing!

I'm 19, and have been working in retail for too damn long. Working with horses is great, but they cost ALOT. Welding can end up being my career, my backup, or my hobby. Either way its too useful to ignore.

So if I do decide to go all-in, what school would YOU pick? And if I wanted to start with just trying it out, what should I do first?

here is what i say for testing the water without a huge commitment...

Hobart in Troy Ohio has a 2 week tig class for around 800 bucks plus room and board...no prerequisites needed.

for 800 bucks you will get a good start tig welding and dip your toe in the waters....also you will know if Hobart is for you or not.

other national schools that have good reps are...

Tulsa Welding school

WEC ---owned by westinghouse offers free tuition in return for agreement to work for around 24 months at reduced scale.

Lincoln welding school

hope this helps,

jody