General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
historyofwarfare
    Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:19 am

Do I need a truck? How does anyone get the metal for jobs? I want to know which is more common to get the metal.
tryn2fab
    Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:51 am

I usually deal with small enough projects I can fit them in the back of my grand cherokee. However if you are doing a lot of orders or dealing with full length sticks a truck would be the way to go! I know who I get my metal from will deliver it if you are over x amount too so you might be able to do that as well.
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

I DEAL MAINLY WITH A COMPANY THAT WILL CUT THE METAL TO SPECIFIED LENGTHS FOR FREE IF I LET THEM KNOW AHEAD OF TIME. IF YOU CAN'T FIND ANYONE TO DO THAT FOR YOU TRY TO DETERMINE WHAT SHAPES AND SIZES YOU WORK WITH THE MOST AND TRY TO BUILD UP A STOCK IF YOU ARE ABLE. MAYBE BORROW OR RENT A TRAILER OCCASIONALLY AND PICK UP A SUFFICIENT AMOUNT TO LAST FOR A TIME. I FOUND THAT WHEN I STARTED MY BUSINESS THAT THAT WAS ONE OF THE MAIN PROBLEMS I HAD ALSO.
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
historyofwarfare
    Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:19 am

I went to Lowes to buy two pieces of unistrut. I could fit them in an explorer I drove then. Now I can't buy that length, they're 10 ft long each. Most places deliver anyways. I like the idea of building up stock, even if I don't know what size I will use most.