General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
CraigLam
    Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:52 pm

I gotta tell ya, compared to other forums, this site is great! I just quit a woodworking forum. The site was rude, and disrespectful. What happens when a new welder enters this forum seeking help? He is generally treated with understanding and compassion. On this woodworking site, he is treated like an outcast and treat like subhuman. He ridiculed and told he's not worth persuing a career in woodworking. I removed my name from the site and took it off my favorites. I am ashamed to call myself a woodworker. I tried once to post a picture of my project, the one that hangs off the rail. I wanted to introduce the fact that welding can coincide with woodworking and other trades. Man did they freak out! "What's metal have to do with anything?" I belong to about four other forums. Now three. That was the worst. Hopefully, people here will be a little more open when I introduce a project that has wood in it or other media.
I'm just glad that everybody here respects one another. :)
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hi,

I agree, nice hard wood and pretty stainless welds go well together.

Mick
delraydella
    Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Craig

Don't be ashamed to call yourself a woodworker based on what a bunch of pinheads said. You saw a problem and came up with a quick, simple solution (re: your BBQ holder shelf) which is probably a lot more than any of those guys ever did. I'm a proud ex-member of many of those so called "purist" discussion boards and most of them were nothing but circle jerks for the original posters.
WeldingSyncrowave 250,Millermatic 252,30a Spoolgun Cutting12" Hi-speed Cutoff Saw, 9x 12 Horizontal Bandsaw MillingGorton 8d Vertical Mill TurningMonarch EE Precision Lathe GrindingBrown & Sharpe #5 Surface Grinder
CraigLam
    Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:52 pm

Well put, guys. I guess it was my fault for believing that those type of forums would generate a feeling of brotherhood. Even wood and glass go together very well, and especially leaded glass. Oh well, live and learn. By no means, am I an expert on welding, but, whatever and where ever I can help, I'll be glad to. These forums can be a good source of info that are not necessarily in text books. It's the experienced people that are willing to help. I guess not everybody sees it that way. Thanks again for the kind words. :)
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I'm afraid a lot of those sites are not unlike a back-country bar. Everyone has their place in the hierarchy, like a pack of dogs, and when the new kid puts his quarter on the pool table (Okay, quarters... I'm showing my age :lol: ) everyone bulls up on the "challenger".

I rarely waste my time on sites like that, except the rare occasion when I have extensive knowledge of the subject at hand. THAT'S FUN! I'm not beyond pissing off some prima donna on his own turf for my own amusement.

You won't find that here, and I'm proud to be a part of it. I'll gladly share anything I know that may help someone, and I'll just as happily absorb someone else's knowledge.

Steve
GWD
    Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:50 pm

In a broader view, this forum seems to reflect its creator, Jody. He seems like a great guy that has patience, is funny, and is genuinely interested in helping folks become better weldors in all disciplines.

He would be a great neighbor and friend. This forum has developed just that feeling. We are all neighbors and friends here (as much as possible over the Internet).

Oh, there are welding forums that do not have that feeling as "Otto" points out. Don't go looking for them as they will be a disappointments considering the statements in your original post.
Ultralow787
    Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:30 pm

Very well said Guys! You all have brought up some great points!

I belong to a "Fishing" forum for about 10 years now that is a real community. People all post on there about fishing.....and well everything else in life as well. It has become a community where everyone cares about each other and a lot of the people get together in person to fish. When someone makes a post about their Children or Grand Children's accomplishments for example, they just put a "NF" beside the title to mean "non fishing". If someone does not wish to read that post, they don't! No one gets all uppity about it. "Fishing" is just the "glue" that hold us all together!

Welding is the glue here! There is a wide geographic cross section here and also a wide welding knowledge base. Combine that with a lot of helpful people and you end up with something fantastic!

I have been on those other welding forums and got chased away by the "old dog" mentality as well. It was silly really, I asked a question, and one of the hierarchy blasted me straight out of the gate! I nipped back and the whole pack joined in on me. How dare me not just take it from the old dog? LOL
Perfection is impossible, but if you strive for perfection, excellence is obtainable!

1983 Canox "Sparkler" 225 AC Stick Welder
Hobart 210 MVP MIG Welder
Harris "Spitfire" Oxy-Acetylene Set