General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
weldorShawn
    Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:30 pm

I have 100' of 10-3 extension cord that I am going to use on my 230V MIG.
I have been thinking about going about it by hard wiring 25' of it directly into the welder itself and then using the existing 75' as the actual extension cord. I also have been thinking about splitting it 50' direct into welder and a 50' extension cord. Havent been able to make up my mind so I thought I would post and see what others thought, or how you might do it yourself. The welder came with only 6' of 12-3, thats why I want to hard wire it in.
Thanks
wS :ugeek:
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

If the machine still has a warranty on it than I would say don't alter the cord it came with. That will void your warranty. I would make two 50 ft. extension cords. That way you can have the best of both worlds.
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
weldorShawn
    Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:30 pm

Thanks,
I have decided to just make 2 50' cords but will still wire in a 10' lead in the machine itself. Its just a cheap MIG so im not really worried about its warranty, besides I have already taken out its stock cooling fan and installed HIGH PERFORMANCE one that flows 120cfm :D . Kinda KOOL ehh!