General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
mllud
    Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:59 pm

Thanks to all the administrators for this grate source of knowledge. Its a meeting of the minds with a common cause ,which is. MORE KNOWLEDGE
I am just getting this welder set up. Ive opened up the case and cleaned some connections and blew out a ton of cob webs and a couple of mouse nests. I struck my first arc with the tig torch yesterday.I had a small plate off the front of the welder. There is a set of two contacts that are supposed to be set at .008 to .010 thousands gap. These points are stationary they do not come together to make contact when you push the foot pedal to strike an arc. When you push the foot pedel to strike an arc, sparks jump across these points continously while while I have the pedel activated. . Im pretty sure that is what is suppose to happen. It seems to me this would be distructive to the contacts. It doesnt look like a super hot arc.

Can someone tell me why and what is going on there?

I know this is an antiuqe welder and this question may not help other welders here much. The owners manual shows to set the points but dosnt explain much.Im pretty shure this is where the high frequency is activated since they start when you push the foot peddel to strike an arc.
I didnt put this in the tig forum because I didnt think it would be benificial to the that process. Right / wronge?
Thanks Mike/mllud