General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
zikibusey
    Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:46 pm

Has any one used this welder. I need a tig with AC, or I want an AC machine! Any input would be great. -Jack
robbee
    Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:45 pm

I just bought one of the diversion 165's yesterday. i haven't hooked it up yet, but im going to tonight. At Airgas, they had some aluminum and stainless they had welded with one and it looked real good. the machine is easy to tote around and the tig torch has a neat ball swivel at the bottem of it that will really help to prevent kinks in the gas line and keep people from pinching the wires together. after ive used it for about a week, ill try to put any useful info on here if it will help your decision making a little easier.
Boatguy
    Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:54 am

Hi.

Wondered if you have some comments to post on your Diversion 165 as that unit is on my shortlist?
robbee
    Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:45 pm

Ok, i've been using my diversion 165, and so far its been a great little machine. I started regretting it before i ever used it because i didnt think it would do too much, but i did more than what i had expected. it said that 3/16" was the thickest it would weld, but i was able to do some 1/4" and a little thicker. it all penetrated really well, and it welds aluminum really well. i was able to weld for 30 minutes straight on 75 amps before it shut down to cool. another thing i liked about it was that it just has the on/off switch, amperage control, and a switch to change from ac to dc. I have mainly been welding all stainless with it. i have been welding aluminum (very clean), and no mild steel yet. Also, the machine is only 50 pounds so its easy to toss around. its been great thus far for what i use it for in maintenance repair and general fabricating duties at work. I'm going to try to start using it alot harder within the next couple of weeks so i can see if it will keep on doing good. But, if i could, i'd suggest this little machine for the quality and price. hope this gives some insight to you. if you have any specific questions just let me know, and ill try whatever you'd like to know

Robbee