General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
bill
    Tue May 18, 2010 1:11 pm

can u harface stainless steel i am currently building up the hammer blades with sandvik 308 but they where out so dam fast i can't keep up any helpful sugestions would be greatfully appreciated thanyou
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

Yes you can hardface (overlay) stainless steel. Do you need alot of build-up or will a couple of passes take care of it? If you need alot of build-up then you will need a build-up elctrode then an overlay electrode. Typically the hardfacing (overlay) elctrodes should be kept to a maximum of 2-3 passes.I would first need to know what type of use are the hammer blades subjected to; metal to metal, impact, or abrasion? Not sure what hammer blades are.
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
bill
    Tue May 18, 2010 1:11 pm

it is called a bepex dicinegrater it is used in food industry to shred beets and carrots for juice extraction it is very abrassive.
after the hammers are built back up i think 1/8to 3/16 thick would do the job. the hammer end is 3/4 thick 4" long 2"wide
thanks for your help
gfs1

Are you sure it is stainless? If for food industry will there be problems from other alloys that will be used for wear-facing. Brutus aaa for buildup,
Gemini -c possible for hard facing. I would contact rockmount and ask them what they recommend.

http://www.rockmountnassau.com/product1.html
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

Bill,
gfs1 has a point. If it will be used for repairs in the food industry, you need to consult the manufacturer for usage specifications. Typically the limitations and restrictions are on the actual welding process for fumes but not sure about the elevated levels of chromium and molybdenum in certain overlays being used for food preparation. I would suggest contacting Hobart, which is the owner of McKay,who is probably the most well known name in hardfacing products.
http://www.hobartbrothers.com/
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
hammerwelds
    Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:27 pm

i know this is late but oh well. the side that the slicer is on is just in the begining stages and doesnt conform with fda rules. there are plenty more processes the beets will go through with metal detecter and magnets to catch anything. i worked at a sugar plant for 10 years so i know what hes talking about. i do beleive they make a hard facing rod for stainless. but if you can find it or need it right then and there, use 309 for one pass, then stoody rod over that. if 309's not available then 7018 will work in a pinch. i've never done this but seen it first hand and it works. the downfall is the hardfacing rod plays hell with the shareners