General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:35 pm

How do you organize your drills ?

I've got the standard individual index boxes for fractional, letter and number up to 1/2"

I've also got a few 17/32" around for 1/2" screw clearance screw holes.

The big problem is the larger drills

Some are reduced 1/2" shanks that I've turned
some long
Some short
some Morse taper 1, 2, 3

Whatever I've bought, inherited or whatever over the years.

all in baskets that I have to root through to find something

I don't use them too often, but I'd like them organized
I don't really want to line the walls with them.

It would be nice if it fit inside a filiing cabnet drawer or toolbox drawer

What do you do, let me steal your ideas

I'm thinking cheap DIY
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

Welcome to the forum,

The easiest and cheapest way i know to organise drills is to get a peice of timber 60mm x 80mm by how ever long your draw is, and drill two rows of holes, part way in, obviously the sizes of the drills to go in them. and mark each on with a texta. That way they stand up by them selves and theres room to write the size. And you can store them side by side.

Mick
BAP
  • BAP
    Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:56 am

Mine is a similar solution to Micks. I had a salesman show up trying to sell me plastic lumber for truck decks. He had a sample with him maybe 2 ft long 12" wide and about 2" thick. He said he wanted me to "try it" to see if it would work for me ;) . I had no idea how a 2 ft piece could be "tried" and then thought it would make a good piece to store my bits in :roll: ... never rot not easily split... Every time I get a bit I think of the sales man and his 2 ft piece of truck deck flooring.

I now have one for, straight shanks, taper bits, one for concrete bits, and one for waldon standard shank Annular Cutters (ANARBOR#2 Allows #2 Moris Taper Chuck to be used in a drill press) I prefer annular cutters to large spiral drill bits much of the time. BAP
Oddjob83
    Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:41 pm

use a silverware drawer organizer, the really basic ones that do not have the shapes of the cutlery or desk organizer trays often found at the dollar store or staples. that way you can lump in the similar sized bits together and write on the bottoms or the backs of the troughs with sharpie. another way is to get a long bar magnet like chefs use to hold their knives, and stick that on the wall, as long as you don't mind them getting slightly magnetized.
    Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:30 am

I have a plastic 'tool' type box, the big 'uns go in the bottom, medium(?) ones go in the tray, box has a tray in the lid, small ones go there.

This is for the odd bits I have!

I try to return the bits to the case(s) from whence they came, often, (usually) after use, I put the bits on the shelf by the boxed bits & when I get a good pile of them, I have to sort them back where they belong.

Mine is a 'Jan Steen' household. c

Look! a hole in the space-time continuum!