General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Ranger
    Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:00 pm

I have been welding for years with long sleeves or no sleeves at all and I was thinking about buying a welding jacket because my leather welding sleeves get hot as hell and I am tired of burning my shirts lol.... So what do you guys use ????

Thanks
Jason SR
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

leather sleeves with an added bib in warm weather full leather jacket in cold. under these always cotton or wool shirts never polyester never flannel.
Follow da blue light
    Sat May 11, 2013 3:44 am

I just bought myself one of those full cotton non flammable jackets, I wanted a jacket that was light for when summer hits.
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

i forget where i heard this but if you wash your f.r. clothing too often it decreases it's fire resistant effectiveness.
    Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:47 am

And don't use an angle grinder with fire resistant jackets.

Holes. Holes. Holes. Holes. More holes.
Follow da blue light
    Sat May 11, 2013 3:44 am

AnvilJack wrote:And don't use an angle grinder with fire resistant jackets.

Holes. Holes. Holes. Holes. More holes.
Ive also seen leather aprons destroyed with an angle grinder......it all depends where you direct the sparks.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I've been doing TIG aluminum 4G for two days.

My "sleeves" are SPF 50.

Short sleeves all day.

Steve S
lazerbeam
    Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:50 am

I have used a Tillman's Onyx jacket for three years and it has held up better than any jacket I have ever used. I do dozens of demonstrations everyday, in all positions, using many processes plus grinding, and the smooth leather has been much better than split cowhide that most jackets are made from.

If you do much out of position stick and mig then you will not like a cloth jacket for long.
    Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:05 pm

I use $10 'heavy duty' leather jackets from the thrift stores such as Salvation Army.
I have several of them. Remove the insulation, so that there is nothing but leather.
In my area, people are very wealthy, so often these jackets are brand new, never used.

I've gotten used to recycling. I cut up black patent leather jackets for other projects.
I attach the thin leather strips to my camera tripod and monopod with spray glue.
The result is that the aluminum tubes stay warm to the touch in cool weather.
Ranger
    Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:00 pm

Thanks alot guys for the help and info ...But I am not sure what will work or even hold up... My main concern is that I do alot of mig welding ,Oxy cutting ,and Grinding when I do work but I might be working at my fab table or under a truck working..

Oh here is what I have now but without the front bib..

Here was what I was thinking about getting ( Oh I am not a fan of the flames )....
lazerbeam
    Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:50 am

I have one of those that I used for awhile and it worked ok for everything except overhead. Do not wash it unless it is absolutely necessary because the fire resistant coating will go away.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

You can rejuvenate your FRC, or make any fabric you use more fire retardant, with this stuff:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_hi?_e ... in=No-Burn

Steve S
Vince51
    Sun May 19, 2013 9:46 pm

Good ole green jacket has served me well. Unless my employer requires FR coveralls.

The best I've seen are those class A hazard suits with built in welding hood. Those things repel fire like no other. Hot in the summer tho.
michialt
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:36 pm

I'm no where near a full time welder, but I have been doing quite a bit over the past 6 months. I bought one that feels like heavy nylon, and is 2 pieces, one that is the collar and sleeves, and the other is the jacket that goes from arm pits to waist.

I work in my Garage shop in Texas, and have worked most of the summer using this jacket. I mostly wear just the upper half to protect my arms, and pretty much any old T-Shirt. This setup has worked well for me, and it is washable, but I haven't washed it. With the cooler temps I will start using the full jacket. The collar can get a little rough on the neck after a couple of hours of wearing it though.

Most of my work is TIG, and angle grinders so I don't get a lot of sparks back on my cloths.