General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
gkent
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:23 am

I'm about to pull the trigger on a tig welder. The plan is to tig a wide range of steel up to 3/16" max and aluminum usually in the 1/8" range.

Not currently being a tig welder I've been reading a lot and watching a lot of videos to get a better understanding of what the various machine features do. As well, price is important as I don't make a living doing this.

That said, I've pretty much settled on an Everlast 250EX ... HOWEVER ... for about the same money I've found a used Lincoln Powertig 225.

Everlast are very good at listing ALL the specs and functionality of their machines. Lincoln, not so much.

So I'm looking for some input here.
What does one have that the other doesn't i.e. does the Lincoln have 2t/4t ?
Which would you go for - used Lincoln or new Everlast?

Space and weight or not an issue so let's leave size out of it.

Thanks,
Mike
    Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Welcome!!!!
M J Mauer Andover, Ohio

Linoln A/C 225
Everlast PA 200
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Do you mean precision tig 225?

Here is a manual from the Lincoln site
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/assets/s ... /im895.pdf
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
gkent
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:23 am

Yes, "precision tig 225"

Looking for some opinions.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

If you want opinions...

One thing Lincoln has, that Everlast does not, is a long track record of quality machines. :D

I'd buy a used Lincoln or Miller in good condition over a new Everlast any day.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:25 pm

MinnesotaDave wrote:If you want opinions...

One thing Lincoln has, that Everlast does not, is a long track record of quality machines. :D

I'd buy a used Lincoln or Miller in good condition over a new Everlast any day.
I would second that unfortunately a used Lincoln around my area rages from 85% of new to 120% of new.

that being said I am looking long and hard at Everlast TIG machines.

by the time I get "TIG machine spare money" there may be something better out.
jwmacawful
    Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

let's see, to go with a company that's been a world leader in welding technology for the last 75 years or to go with a company who's main recommendation is a low initial purchase price and dubious customer service? to me that's not a very tough choice but i've always been partial to red.
GWD
    Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:50 pm

Used Lincoln: No warranty, unknown condition
New Everlast: Five year warranty

Google the two machines and add the word "review" to the end of the search term.
echosixmike
    Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:03 am

The PT225 is a transformer machine, generally more durable but uses more juice. Much lower duty cycle as well. The 250EX gives you more amps, more duty cycle, more control of the arc(freq, up/downslope, pulse). Inverters do seem more fragile, but 5yr warranty is quite good. I've been happy with my Everlast stuff. S/F....Ken M
Red: PowerMIG 300, Square Wave 175
Blue: DEL200, Syncro250, XMT300
Green: STH160
Black: Tweco 181i Fabricator
Oddball: Craftsman HF unit
Oddjob83
    Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:41 pm

I agree with echosixmike and GWD, for their same reasons. I personally would love to get a new Everlast. But, I have also never had a Lincoln die on me ever. Over 8 years of personal history with Red, from a precision tig 225,squarewave 275 and a power mig 255 and a mig pack 140. I have hit the duty cycle on the PT225, and i love knobs, and i think mine had like 3, a output, stick/tig, and ac/dc+- . the new ones even have pulse control, post flow and AC balance.

The stick feature was virtually useless with 1/8 rods and smoked our ground clamp after the first job.

I am no expert, but I'd take a 5 year warranty anyday, over a used anything.
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

How much you looking to spend???
Wobulate
    Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:30 am

Gkent,

I was in your position in 2011, I looked at the material type, material thickness, user controls, and duty cycle up to 3/16 mild steel and aluminum. If the material I am working on is > 3/16 I will MIG it, or for aluminum MIG/Spool Gun.

I looked at price, location of welder (portable vs transportable) and all of the specifications that form my opinion relative to the material. I am very picky about what I purchase as my relationship between me and my tools will be for decades (My Miller AC Thunderbolt is now 30 years old and still working perfect, and I occasionally use it for deep penetration weld requirements.)

With my engineering background I thought long and hard about SCR's vs MosFETs or IGBT's. That said, I narrowed my focus, for my application to one of the following:
* Miller Dynasty 200 DX (Approximately $3,300 to $4,000)
* Miller Synchrowave 210 (Catalog Price $3,197)
* Lincoln Invertec V205-T (Catalog Price $4,409)
* Lincoln Precision TIG 225 (My Purchase Price $2,062)

As you can see the prices of these welders are high, except for the Lincoln PT-225.
When individuals new to welding are ready to buy they typically do not consider the cost of tax, shipping, consumables, non-consumables and the little items that make the TIG experience a pleasant one. With my welder I also ordered a broad array of TIG specific items as metioned previously, so add another $1,200 to the purchase price.

I purchased my welder from IOC (Indiana Oxygen Company), no tax, no shipping and a low price. With my savings on the welder I purchased a 225 Cu.Ft. bottle of Argon locally and a hand held Sharpie Deluxe Tungsten Grinder from Arc-Zone ($279 + extra diamond discs). With a Transformer/SCR machine the user should pay close attention to the included angle when grinding the tungsten. This is critical for shaping the arc cone.

Well, this is what I did, I am very happy with my purchase, it does everything I want it to do (especially on thin material), and then some. Take a good look at this welder before making your purchase, you will be pleasantly supprised.

Wobulate
WOB
Lincoln,Precision TIG225
Miller,Millermatic 251
Miller,Spoolmatic 30A
Miller,Millermatic 130XP
Miller,Spectrum 625
Miller,Thunderbolt 225AC
KMG,Belt Grinder/2x72
Ingersoll Rand,Compressor/5HP
MSC/Vectrax,Band Saw Horizontal-Vertical/7x12
stillearthbound
    Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:02 am

gkent wrote:I'm about to pull the trigger on a tig welder. The plan is to tig a wide range of steel up to 3/16" max and aluminum usually in the 1/8" range.

Not currently being a tig welder I've been reading a lot and watching a lot of videos to get a better understanding of what the various machine features do. As well, price is important as I don't make a living doing this.

That said, I've pretty much settled on an Everlast 250EX ... HOWEVER ... for about the same money I've found a used Lincoln Powertig 225.

Everlast are very good at listing ALL the specs and functionality of their machines. Lincoln, not so much.

So I'm looking for some input here.
What does one have that the other doesn't i.e. does the Lincoln have 2t/4t ?
Which would you go for - used Lincoln or new Everlast?

Space and weight or not an issue so let's leave size out of it.

Thanks,
The Lincoln Precision 225 tig is excellent machine i have welded 1/4" aluminum, 1/4" mild steel AC and DC the machine does what its says. LOCAL SERVICE and fast, but that being i have never had any problems and i haven't heard of anyone having a problem. lincoln has a long long track record of making excellent machines. good warrenties and they are easy to sell used if you get tired of it and i know you won't, no guess work with the knobs, and straight forward. :D
Nils
    Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:46 pm

I own an Everlast 250EX with the water cooler set-up. This is a serious machine. Take a look at the half inch plate of 6061 I ran at full power just for fun. It ran it without breaking a sweat. The AC frequency adjustment set to 20 hz is amazing on this thick stuff.
Attachments
DSCN5333.JPG
DSCN5333.JPG (122.68 KiB) Viewed 1256 times
Everlast PowerTig 250EX, PowerTig 185 Micro, PowerArc 160STH, Miller Trailblazer 301G, Millermatic 140 Auto-Set