General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
ravendave
    Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:10 am

Hello all
I have a challenge, I bought a new shaft for the lawnmower and the end that fits in a bearing was to big by .009 thousands
so i put it in the lathe and used a file to bring it down it was going slow. I left to get a coffee and my son wanted to help
he cut it with the lathe now it is .003 small. Now what to do?
My thought is to gas braze it and re cut it on the lathe. Is this a good idea?

Ravendave
Oddjob83
    Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:41 pm

you can cheat and do an old machinist trick and pein the bearing seat with a punch and press the bearing over that. .003 isnt that much to overcome.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Honestly don't think it's worth it for 3thou on an application like that - just center punch round the shaft a bunch of times where the bearing fits & Loctite it in - they do a specific product for this.

If your a perfectionist & or OCD then brazing is a valid method - but you need to take off about 1mm first with the lathe so there is sufficient depth of brass to machine to finished size without going through the build up layer - it's a common procedure especially where oil seals create wear grooves in shafts - I like it on marine parts as it leaves a surface that won't rust for oil seals to run on.
blaz
    Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:08 pm

Build up and re machine is fairly common. I do not like the center punch trick. If you have a knurling tool it will do a far better job because more metal is displaced and the bearing will have more points of contact. Weld and re machine is the best option if it is a mild steel shaft.

Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:30 am

Do you have a knurling tool?
-c-

Look! a hole in the space-time continuum!