General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
Chilliepaste
    Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:21 am

What are the general guidelines for quoting a job for some one? I don't run a shop but when i am home off the road people always seem to have projects or ideas to build something and i have never had a good rule of thumb to price the work. Is there a rule of thumb?
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

Chilliepaste wrote:What are the general guidelines for quoting a job for some one? I don't run a shop but when i am home off the road people always seem to have projects or ideas to build something and i have never had a good rule of thumb to price the work. Is there a rule of thumb?
In Miami I charged $55/hr plus the steel.That was ten years ago so with a falling empire it may have actually gone down.
Here in Costa Rica I charge what works out to $23.60, plus steel.If the work is straight forward( simple columns or gates) you can do a flat fee that works out to considerably less/hr just to get the volume.It's better to work all day at $35/hr than to work just two hours at $55.....unless you're an old drunk like me who doesn't actually do it for the money.I do it for the love of it and a lil money is OK too. :mrgreen:
Chilliepaste
    Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:21 am

Weld i am a young drunk i guess. People keep looking at me weird when i tell them a price like i was try to gouge them.
But if it takes 6 hours and i have to weld it in their living room it is not so simple. Oh well i guess my pricing is not so different from what i have read so i don't feel so bad.