General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
JDIGGS82
    Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:46 pm

Is there any good ones without it, and how bad is it for you
jimbob
    Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:05 pm

Not all that good my shop stopped using that. Our solution was PAM. ;) just needs a good wipe with acetone before any painting. PAM works for lots of stuff, spray it on my English Setter before I go bird hunting and when I get home all the burrs and stuff just brushes out without getting all matted in his fur. :lol:
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

I don't think "anti-spatter gel/nozzle dip" is a worthless fraud....
it works good, the Lincoln stuff I use, "says" non toxic, and besides, your wearing your 3M respirator right? ;)
John
Last edited by AKweldshop on Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Kimball Midwest has a CRC brand spatter spray that is water-based. Works great on carbon steel, good on stainless. In cold conditions, warm the can. Be aware that the water (though not much) can give porosity at the start, if it's trapped by, say, a backing bar, but this has been rare in my experience.

That said, MC is highly volatile, and evaporates very quickly. I worked with pure MC for some time (working with plastics at a job in college), so I probably saw "lab rat" doses with no ill effects. The small quantity in a spatter spray, with the fast evaporation, with good ventilation, is extremely unlikely to do you any harm.

It does have a "prop 63" warning, "known to the state of California to cause...", so just don't use it in Cali... :lol:

Steve S
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

We have a brand from Austria called Protec, water based, smells like lemons. Greenish white in colour.

http://www.protec-austria.com/en/produc ... -ce15l-26/

Mick
JDIGGS82
    Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:46 pm

Thanks for the input greatly appreciated
grafted
    Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:27 pm

That chemical is not good for you without heat, and add welder heat even worse.
See the link I have posted, I believe welding on any chlorinated chemical is not a good idea.
I like the Pam Idea that was posted.

I have used a lot of MC (work)and most of it with a ventilation hood to remove fumes and not with welding heat.

Tom

http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/s ... +@DOCNO+66