General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
sgtnoah
    Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:02 am

Proud parent moment tonight - I know that you all are the ones to share it with! My seven year old daughter has been watching me weld for quite a while and asked if she could give it a try. We hooked up the small torch and after a short lesson (and a number of tries), she made a puddle and walked it along a thin strip of stainless.

Thanks for letting me share!

-- Pete
Attachments
AlisonTIG.jpg
AlisonTIG.jpg (69.11 KiB) Viewed 1322 times
    Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am
    Near Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania. Steel Buckle of the Rust Belt

Be careful having your daughter learn to weld, it makes them even more popular with the boys, especially at 20 years old like mine. I have to remind them that it's a short drag to the river from the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now go melt something.
Instagram @lenny_gforce

Len
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Congratulations, Pete!

I've had trouble teaching that to 27 year-olds!

It's great having something like that to share with your child. Even if her life takes a completely different direction, she'll always love starting a story with, "When I was welding with dad..."

Steve S
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

This is awesome. I just taught my wife how to weld last year and I will warn you of this. I never should have taught her to weld not because she was attracting other guys but that she is showing me up at times. Watch out cause she has already got a great start. :D
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
rake
    Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:19 pm

My daughter loved being out in the shop when she was young.

mcoe wrote:This is awesome. I just taught my wife how to weld last year and I will warn you of this. I never should have taught her to weld not because she was attracting other guys but that she is showing me up at times. Watch out cause she has already got a great start. :D
I don't know how I'd feel if it were my wife :!:

But I was never prouder than when someone I mentored through TIG stainless passed his ASME IX, and made my welds look sad by comparison.

I KNOW I'd be fit to burst if it were my daughter or son... I *THINK* I'd feel the same if it were my wife... but we're competitive, so I might not be quite so proud.... :mrgreen: .

Steve S
    Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:06 pm

We are very competitive so whenever she is having a better day than me when it comes to welding, I break out the practice stand and try out of position since she don't have much experience it makes me feel a little better when I show her up. :lol: It still makes me proud when she does better than me since I did teach her.
It's always best to build your own, especially when it comes to hitches!!!
Matt
    Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:33 pm

Good for her! :)

My husband taught me to weld (as he previously stated above) and don't let him tell you otherwise but he gets jealous when I show him up welding....he just won't admit it.
ARC
Just Horsin' Around Horseshoe Art
http://justhorsinaroundhorseshoeart.weebly.com

I still say,

This forum needs a "like" button!

You two make me smile. :D

Steve S
sgtnoah
    Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:02 am

Thank you all for the incredible replies, it's so fun to hear the stories of other proud parents (husbands, wives, teachers)! Please reply with your stories.

-- Pete
    Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:19 pm

She sure looks like she's enjoying it! My little sister just asked me the other day to teach her how to weld (and I'm still in school!!).. made my day. Hopefully my nieces will want to learn as well. :mrgreen:
TamJeff
    Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:46 am

Taught both my sons the basics at an early age. They could do well at it.

I went to welding school with my "ex" wife. She was actually very good. We were quite competitive and she ended up getting hired before I did, welding stainless flashing and gutters, on commercial roofs, in Florida, in August. She lasted about half a day and hasn't picked up a torch since. It never mattered to me, really. We both had alternate strengths and weaknesses as one might expect with anyone. I was quietly proud of her most days, but it's hard to be openly so without being accused of being patronizing. Yes, I had made the fatal mistake of "letting" her win at pool one night, which I really hadn't, but you couldn't tell her that. :)

Only thing I really had over her was years of conditioning with working outdoors in construction, and about 10 year head start with fabrication and layout experience. Admittedly, both of us had failed to consider those details as far as she was concerned.

I really did enjoy watching my sons succeed with the process. Hopefully it is just enough that they may actually consider broadening their horizons at some point if they ever need another trade, or when they inherit all of my equipment and tools and manage to keep them in good care and use.
Miller ABP 330, Syncrowave 250, Dynasty 300 DX.
Honorary member of the Fraternity of Faded Tee Shirts.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

I noticed the third hand in the picture.
You have the ground cable hooked to to it....
How does that work for you????
John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
davidally
    Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:05 am

sgtnoah wrote:Thank you all for the incredible replies, it's so fun to hear the stories of other proud parents (husbands, wives, teachers)! Please reply with your stories.

-- Pete
Hi,
Thank you to for share your experience. My child is also trying to work with us. Now, she is 8 years old. She is very much interesting to work and spend much more time with us. Most of time, I felt very happy and proud. These are all sweet memories. Once again, thanks for share your feelings.
Ultralow787
    Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:30 pm

Pete, That is so cool! I can't stop smiling!
I am the proud father of three grown Daughters. I only started in welding late in life, but think it is so awesome that your little one wants to give it a go. Good for her and you!

My girls are all more comfortable around tools than their husbands are. Something must have rubbed off on them over the years. They want their own kids to work in the trades.
Perfection is impossible, but if you strive for perfection, excellence is obtainable!

1983 Canox "Sparkler" 225 AC Stick Welder
Hobart 210 MVP MIG Welder
Harris "Spitfire" Oxy-Acetylene Set