General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
RichardH
    Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:45 pm

Superiorwelding wrote:RichardH,
What did you decide for your welding surface?
I got ahold of a circle drop and I think I will give that 3 leg table a go. Will put it in the projects section....when I can get to it that is. :)
Well, there's what I plan to do… and then there's what I'm doing until then. :D I've been known to work on a 20-year timeline, but I'm trying to improve that.

I'm using the table saw for now - it's a good height and solid cast. I stole a trick from a shop I've been using, and I picked up a 24"x24" piece of aluminum as a work surface to protect the table saw top. I'm working TIG, so splatter isn't really a problem. I add a small piece of sheet metal when I need a magnetic surface.

Longer term, the plan is to level the table saw and add a solid welding table flush next to it. With that plan set, I know the height I need to make surrounding surfaces, so no more excuses for delaying those projects.

Meanwhile, I have access to a really nice shop with Stronghand tables, exhaust systems, etc. for when I'm working on larger pieces than my table saw will handle.

Cheers,
Richard
Grinding discs... still my #1 consumable!
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

After a thorough clean up with extra attention to the perimeter walls, I cover the table saw with a half sheet of 16 gauge, remove the aluminum cover from the welding table, and go to work.
Bill Beauregard
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 pm

My sugar house floor is a concrete slab, as frost melts from the ground it moves. An evaporator must be level. It sits on a rigid frame with 4 feet made from plate steel welded to I" bolts. A nut and washer threaded onto the bolts allows for daily adjustment. I lay a level on the front pan, bring the low side up, lay it lengthwise to determine up or down, crosswise at rear pan and adjust the appropriate foot. It takes 5 minutes.