General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
bearded-indian87
    Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:54 pm

Hello. My name is Tim. I am new around here. After doing my own search throughout the forum I found no info on math for a union apprenticeship entry test. Steamfitters to be exact. I am brushing up on basic math, pre-algebra and linear equations. I really want to blow this out of the water. Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you for your time.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Welcome, Tim!

The "instructions" area is intended for admin/moderator use to give helpfull tips on using the forum...

I'll copy your topic to "welding shop talk", where a lot more folks will see it.

Steve S

Tim,

The best math knowledge for fitting is Trigonometry, but you don't actually need to know Trig. You need to know how to use Trig tables and a calculator.

A pipefitter's bluebook will have all the information you need (and not cost much on Amazon.com), but you may need some coaching on how to use it.

The test will allow a bluebook and a calculator, I'm sure.

Steve S
bearded-indian87

Thanks guy. I have a guide to pipefitting math and I have been going through it on a daily basis. I know that information will come once I manage to get into the apprenticeship. What Im after is the entry math test. Will there be just pre-algebra and basic math, or linear equations and whatnot. The things to study for that test is what I am in search of. The union I applied to isnt much help. Its hard to get ahold of anyone from the office. Again, thanks guy.

There will be others who can speak with more authority on this, but for an apprenticeship entry exam, the math will be pretty basic. General understanding stuff. Read a tape measure, add fractions, and the like.

Your basic math review and pre-algebra will likely be sufficient.

I misunderstood the original question.

Someone will likely come along who's been through the process.

Steve S
bearded-indian87

Thank you very much Steve.
Vince51
    Sun May 19, 2013 9:46 pm

Coming from a steamfitter. Buy a blue book! It will help you in alot of ways. Familiarize yourself with converting fractions to decimals and converting them back. A right triangle is your best friend. Learn all you can about right triangles. Know how to figure the volume of a cylinder. You're going to work with angles in some way every day. Like Steve said know how to use a trig table. If your figuring sling tension for lifting a load or making up a rolling offset you'll use it. You don't have to remember everything just know where to find the information needed. 1.41 and .707 are very handy numbers to keep in your head. Their in your trig table. Good luck might see you out on a job some day

Best of luck
Vince