General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
dmm26
    Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:01 pm

I have an old speedglas 9000 non variable shade, not sure of the shade number (whatever comes factory). It has brand new plastics on it. I've just gotten back into welding as a job for a big company doing production welding. I'm not sure if it's just me and i'm rusty, or the shop lighting, or if I need a different shade, but i can't see worth a darn!

We're using .045 metal core wire and welding all steel parts. I'm finding it really dim and I can't see when I'm welding and therefore my end product comes out looking like crap. Tons of under cut, welds not straight, inconsistent size of bead.

I know I need practice that's for sure, but I'm not sure what the other problem is.... any thoughts?
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

its hard to imagine .045 mig being dark....
I would get a different shade lense, probably 11 maybe....
you probably got a shade 13 or worse...
my eyes are about 20:18, almost....
Is the lighting really dark in your area?
How close are you to the arc?

John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
dmm26
    Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:01 pm

I'm not sure what the shade # is, I wouldn't say it's dark where I work, there's lots of lights. I'm probably a foot or less away from my work, and my eye sight is perfect as of 5 months ago.
I think I'll try ordering a different shade # or maybe a variable shade.
Ultralow787
    Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:30 pm

We have the basic models of Speedglas helmets at our school and they are a fixed #11 ADF. They work okay, but most guys eventually buy their own with variable shades. I have the 9100xx and I like shade 10 for the stuff we do. The 9100xx has a larger viewing area.

I just won a new Linde MISON helmet but don't have it yet. I am anxious to give it a try and see how it is.

Seeing properly is a huge part of welding so it makes sense that you want to get something better.
Perfection is impossible, but if you strive for perfection, excellence is obtainable!

1983 Canox "Sparkler" 225 AC Stick Welder
Hobart 210 MVP MIG Welder
Harris "Spitfire" Oxy-Acetylene Set
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

There is always a possibity that it is faulty. Contact speedglas in your country and ask them about getting it checked. DO NOT CONTACT THE COMPANY YOU BOUGHT IT FROM BECAUSE THEY OFFEN ARE NOT INTERESTED IN WARRANTY CLAIMS. GO STRAIGHT TO THE TOP OF THE TREE. In the mesn time, get a experienced welder to try your shield and see if they have any trouble .

Mick

dmm26 wrote:I'm not sure what the shade # is, I wouldn't say it's dark where I work, there's lots of lights. I'm probably a foot or less away from my work, and my eye sight is perfect as of 5 months ago.
I think I'll try ordering a different shade # or maybe a variable shade.
I would think a 11 would be a little bright in your application....
A 12 might be the one for you....
It depends if your gonna be doing all different kinds of welding, a variable shade might be the ticket....
Good Luck,
John ;)

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

dmm26,
My two cents...
A co worker once came up to me complaining that he could not see through his Jackson Digital welding helmet and wanted me to give it a try. I quickly threw it on and agreed that it was hard to see out of. I spun the helmet around and his front lens was extremely dirty. Changed it out and he was like "wow I can see now".
I am not saying this is your problem, but I thought you might get a kick out of that.
Personally, for fixed lenses I like #11 gold for most MIG applications and #10 gold for TIG.
We run a lot of .052 and I usually use a #13 silver for that application.
One of the biggest advantages obviously for Auto lens' is the ability to change on the fly. I don't know a lot about Speedglas' lenses but if they offer a "gold" lens I would go for a #10. Again just my two cents.

Agreed.
Take your clear lense off your helmet and look through it.... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
You'd be surprised....
That is a common problem, and some times its hard to see it with out taking it of the helmet and looking through it.

A suggestion,
John

Trump/Carson 2016-2024
Antorcha
    Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:57 am

I have a Miller Pro Hobby and as soon as I walk out of the shop into the sun it's over. Matter of fact I'm chasing a Honeywell flip front Pipeliner right know. That'll fix it ! These racing helmets are great in a shop.I love mine but ya gotta be able to see. Maybe I'll get a pancake and get one of the local hippies to paint Momma BooBoos face on it ! That'd be cool AND patriotic !
The new mascot of merka ! :lol: