General welding questions that dont fit in TIG, MIG, Stick, or Certification etc.
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

I received a phone call day, telling me that a man was killed at a very good friends sawmill. It was hard to believe! They went on to say that the man had reached into a chain system and had his hood caught in the gears and was wrapped up onto a 2" shaft all the way to his knees. I realize this is not a welding story, but I share this to remind us all of the safety we all should be adhering to. Remember at the end of the day we all want to go home to our families and friends! This man made a mistake that cost him his life. We all seem to do things everyday that we know we should not have done, but when something like this happens close to home I guess we sit back and think about things. Knowing the owner of the sawmill and having done some welding on site for him in the past, I know this tragedy will tear him apart. Sometimes we are all guilty of being so focused on just getting a job done that safety of our self and others may just go by the wayside. Guys lets all promise ourselves and our families that we will be as safe as we can, so we can make it home another day!
    Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hey,

Thats terrible news. My thoughts go out to all those involved.

It raises an important point. About "working safe" We must remember that not everyone knows how to work safe, and that people, especially new/ young people must be shown, and older people must be reminded.

We have a run of worksafe ads here in Aus about exactly that, people left to a job, not really knowing what could go wrong, amd suffer the tragic consequences.

Mick
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

My condolences to the guys family & anyone else affected by this senseless loss - but with modern requirements to have rotating shafts / pulleys / gears guarded I do wonder how this happened - sawmills are relatively dangerous by nature even today I guess.
    Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:30 pm

I know a guy, when he was about 20 or so he was walking around a big conveyer line and one of the pull strings on his hooded sweatshirt got caught in a chain roller something and it sucked him in really bad, broke his jaw in several places,
He's about 55 now as hasn't talked since he was about 20
Don't get your clothes caught in moving objects

Careful with grinder :cry:

John
Just a couple welders and a couple of big hammers and torches.

Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
Trump/Carson 2016-2024